Reservoirs at Tring

Pangolin

My last couple of outings have been to Marsworth Reservoir, after pike. I've caught nothing, but that doesn't surprise me, because its a water that's new to me. I didn't see anybody else catch anything when I was there: most of the other pike anglers were fishing Startops. I was surprised to find people fishing for carp there in February.

Has anyone had any success recently with carp or pike at any of the reservoirs? If so, would you share a few tips with a new visitor? My favoured pike fishery, Eaton Bray, is closed until March.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I know there are loads of carp in the Grand Union Canal there at Startops, from the bridge on the B489 going north to the Aylesbury arm, I used to fish that a lot when I lived at Leighton Buzzard, also on the Canal Nr LB go to Grove church and walk south for just over 1/4 mile and fish the far bank, picked up a lot of carp there.

The carp got into the canal when the Reservoirs flooded, I think it was early 60's, and they thrived in the canal

What was the water you mentioned at Eaton Bray, I used to fish a Moat at Eaton Bray, but I'm talking about 35 yrs ago

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

ive only ever fished the place once basic carp tactics with a good bed of feed and fish a drilled pellet on top if u fish up the far left side and cast to the reeds or if u walk along theres some pegs in the trees thats whre ive seen the most been caught but maybe instead of going for carp both these resevoirs have a big head of bream. if you go to the resevoir on ur left theres usually a bloke bivvied out on the shingles with a dingy he goes for specimen bream and quite often pulls 13lb bream out

tight lines

Carp36lb.jpg

My young niece's partner caught this from Marsworth last year. He also had an 11 lb and a 13 lb Bream in the same session. carp from the canal are apparently finding their way into the reservoir.Wilstone used to have some big pike i think E. T. fished there

I know there are pike and carp in there. All three reservoirs are on John Bailey's favourite fisheries list. I chose Marsworth because it has some features. How would you advise fishing somewhere like Wilstone, where you are sat several feet up from water level, faced with acres of flat, featureless water? Would you just belt out a deadbait as far as you can and use a bite-alarm?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

THe Pike Fishery at Eaton Bray is the moat you remember. Its still a very good pike fishery. Not sure why its closed, although there was a lot of ice there on Sunday.

I remember the moat mainly for its Tench, don't remember it as a Pike water, mind you I'm talking 60's and 70's

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive