Livebaiting with circle hooks

Mark Crame

I've started livebaiting for pike again recently and have decided that I don't want to continue with the traditional pair of treble hooks on a wire trace. As i'm using smallish baits of around 6 inches the pike are gulping them down further than I'd like as I want to return the fish as quickly as possible without too much surgery (especially as I prefer unhooking them in the water over the side of the kayak where possible). I've tried crushed barbs and a single treble and had 50% drop off, so went onto a single J hook rig and landed one out of 6 the other day, of the other five, 2 were dropped almost straight after the strike and the others were on for less than a minute in the main. The one successful hook-up was a jack of a couple of pounds while the others in the main felt far heavier. So, I've bought some 5/0 circle hooks and want to try these next. Any advice on rigs to make up?

I hook the baitfish through the top and bottom of the mouth or beneath the dorsal fin and am fishing (same spot) at about 4ft under a float.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I use lives to around 5inches for perch. I use 5lb test straight through. The hook is a size 8 to 4 wide gape. Although targeting perch I have caught more pike on this method than I ever did when actually targeting them.

Ive jet to try circle hooks but fro what I understand no strike is needed. As Im using short shank wide gape hooks they are close toa circle hook and most pike are landed and hooked in the scissors, verty few bite offs even with just 5lb line.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

Hi Mark

I have been using circle hooks almost exclusively for two seasons now and have just about got it right (I think!). The hook size you have chosen is about right (if not, 6/0), but I would make 6 inch livebaits the absolute maximum size. 3 - 4 inch would be much better. I hook the fish through the top lip only when livebaiting as this will keep it alive longer.

I've also started using Fox crimp covers (http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products.php?lang=e&product=844&catalogue=3&section=32). I thought they were a gimmick at first, but they certainly reduce weed getting caught on the trace and the trace getting tangled in the mainline. In addition, I believe they improve the efficiency of a circle hook by allowing the scissors of the fish to run smoothly down the trace to the hook. You heard it here first! Picture below.

This may be a bit controversial, but I do give the fish a little time to take the bait. Maybe up to 30 seconds depending on circumstances. I've caught a lot of pike on circles and NEVER had one that was deep hooked. In fact, with the rig described above many of the fish are hooked on the outside of the mouth for some reason.

As for 'striking', certainly don't strike, but don't just wind down either. Wind down and really keep up the pressure. In my last outing, I had 5 takes and 5 fish (http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/good-afternoon-note-circle-hooks-t81984.html), today I had 4 takes and 4 fish using this method.

Good luck!

post-4157-1203788537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sipadan

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

The hook in Sipadan's photo has a fairly narrow gape due to the design so if using one like that, I would certainly go up a size.

With one that has a wider gape like the Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks, you won't need quite as large a hook size to get the same gape.

GOHOP.JPG

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt shows the same pattern of circles I tried.No need for fancy rigs.Just wire one on to 18" of trace and there you go Mark! 4/0-5/0 should be about right for the size of baits and the hooking arrangement you describe.Great thing about circles is that you can use a large hook without the resulting problems of deep penetration that a normal single gives.

Still prefer small trebles my self both for efficiencey and lack of damage but for those who would prefer to use a single hook then circles are the best choice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thank you gentlemen, top-notch advice as ever. I have made my rigs up (though without sleeves as I haven't got any) and will give them a try in the week.

The hooks are somewhere between the two examples shown. Fingers crossed, the hens are feeding before the orgy and I'm determined to get a twenty from the yak before the season finishes. Or a PB of 24...

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Have a look at the hook photo in post #4. I like that style because the eye is bent and I can tie on a rig to increase chances of point meeting lip.

You might consider that style and do away with the piece of heat shrink around the eye.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My photo was a Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook which is my first choice after trying a half-dozen others.

However, if I can't get them I do go for that shape in preference to a better made circle hook of a slightly different design such as the ones that Owner has.