i want to start course angling

mdtomlancs

hello

i am a sea angler and i want to start course fishing

could any of you point me in the right direction as in tackle and tips and bait.

what are the best course fish to catch and can you catch much in a canal. also i here you have to have a license and how much and where can i purchase one. i would like to get into it because i am sick of catching the same old fish and course fishing seems to be quite more relaxing as sea fishing you are mainly on your feet all the time.

whats a decent enough cheap rod and reel, hooks and sizes leader strenth and line strenth.

hope you reply soon

many thanks mike thompson

Hi Mike, welcome to AN.

Am I right in thinking that your from Lancashire? Your name suggests as much. :)

If you can be a bit more specific about an area, we have a few anglers around you, who will be able to suggest waters and tackle to suit.

You do need a Licence, they start from April 1st, and you get them from a Post Office. It's around £26 for the year, I haven't checked how much they've gone up yet. I don't buy mine until around May.

Sorry I can't be more specific about the fishing, I'm from over the Pennines. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

You need to visit a local tackle dealer midweek when it's not busy and discuss what waters are available locally. The type of tackle you get depends a lot on what you are fishing for, you wouldn't use the same gear on a canal as on a commercial fishery.

you can get a day rod license online so you dont need to spend the full amount if you are not going to be getting your moneys worth or i think you can still get day licenses from the post office

canals are pretty good as they contain most species i have caught barbel and trout in my local canal as well as the usual course fish

alot of people who make sea fishing rods and equipment do course fishing stuff Shakespeare, Mitchel, etc

check ebay out for a rod or some of the sites listed on here and then head down to your local tackle shop and ask for what are the best methods of fishing your local venues or take a walk along the bank and try and spy what methods other people are using and the success they are having with them,

A couple of 11ft masterline match rods at around £15 apiece and a couple of shimano hyperloop 2500RB's at around the same should see you fine for normal stuff. Some line in the region of 4-6lb, some size 16 hooks, some swimfeeders, floats and legers, a disgorger, some split shot, maggot box and you're done. With that setup you can do pretty much anything bar pike and large carp or barbel. That's what I take on my kayak with the addition of piking gear if i'm after them as well. A landing net and rod rests might come in handy too, especially if the banks are high. £75-80 should see you fine. As an idea of what I'm achieving at the moment with that gear take a look on the kayak fishing forum - all my catch reports for the year are on there.

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.