Good news

Chris Plumb

That really is great news if your a Vendace. In fact a bit of a masterstroke that might even save the species in the UK. Away off, if ever being put back on the can fish for list though. :):angry:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

From the BBC article

"My hope is that one day we will be able to use the vendace population of Loch Skene as a source for fish to be reintroduced to a restored Bassenthwaite Lake."

Now that is a curious quote. How on earth do they think they are going to "restore" Bassenthwaite?

The last time I fished there, about ten years ago, it was stuffed with dace. It was absolutely brilliant fishing, wading out about thirty yards in a couple of feet of water with a bait apron and light float gear.

Curiously the scientists surveying the vendace don't seem to catch any dace!

http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/1567/

This of course begs the question, are the vendace really extinct or are the scientists just as bad at catching them as they are the dace? Maybe they need to rethink their net design!

Having read the article I was a bit confused by the following comment

"This fish has been badly hit by pollution and predation from inappropriate fish introductions in other lakes in the country and can only be found in a couple of locations these days."

What inappropriate fish introductions would they be?

Pike, Native,

Zander, don't think there are any,

Perch, Native,

Rainbow trout? I don’t think they have been stocked,

Brown Trout Native?

Seems odd I can't think which predatory fish has been introduced.

Or is it the dam Snake Fish Again!!!!!

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Having read the article I was a bit confused by the following comment

"This fish has been badly hit by pollution and predation from inappropriate fish introductions in other lakes in the country and can only be found in a couple of locations these days."

What inappropriate fish introductions would they be?

Pike, Native,

Zander, don't think there are any,

Perch, Native,

Rainbow trout? I don’t think they have been stocked,

Brown Trout Native?

Seems odd I can't think which predatory fish has been introduced.

Or is it the dam Snake Fish Again!!!!!

With exception of Brown trout, none of the species you mention are truly native to these waters. I would think it was not predation alone that has wipe out the vendace either, as any predatory fish introduced would most likely have found a balance with the prey fish not wipe them out.

In both Mill & Castle lochs the timing of vendace diapering seems to fit with the introduction of other coarse fish (Mainly Bream and a few roach). Castle loch also had the disadvantage of being used as an out flow for Loch mabens sewage in times gone by, which cant have been good for it. As for Bassenthwaite I'm no expert on this water but I believe its got its fair share of introduced coarse fish to ( pike, perch, roach, dace and so on) and a question mark over is water quality also.

I found it interesting (in the report i linked) that it was possible to take vendace fry from Bassenthwaite in 1997 & 99 yet by 2003 they are thought to have gone. Seems fast?

With exception of Brown trout, none of the species you mention are truly native to these waters. I would think it was not predation alone that has wipe out the vendace either, as any predatory fish introduced would most likely have found a balance with the prey fish not wipe them out.

In both Mill & Castle lochs the timing of vendace diapering seems to fit with the introduction of other coarse fish (Mainly Bream and a few roach). Castle loch also had the disadvantage of being used as an out flow for Loch mabens sewage in times gone by, which cant have been good for it. As for Bassenthwaite I'm no expert on this water but I believe its got its fair share of introduced coarse fish to ( pike, perch, roach, dace and so on) and a question mark over is water quality also.

I found it interesting (in the report i linked) that it was possible to take vendace fry from Bassenthwaite in 1997 & 99 yet by 2003 they are thought to have gone. Seems fast?

I would have thought Pike and Pearch would have been native and would have been around for thousands of years.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I would have thought Pike and Pearch would have been native and would have been around for thousands of years.

Mostly mans doing over the last few hundred as far as i know. We were left with out coarse fish after the ice-age north and west of Brittan that is. Only accessible by sea going fish ( salmon, trout, sticklebacks and in the case of Vendace herrings). But i will stand corrected if any one wants to correct on any of that.

Been doing a bit of googleing on Vendace and come across a new word for the day, EUTROPHICATION. Seems it means some thing to do with enriching in organic and mineral nutrients and encouraging plant life. Anyway it seems to be what the experts think has got a lot to do with the demise of the Vendace.

Why they don't just say we've let vulnerable Vendace waters be polluted with out flow from sewage-works and exsessively rich run off from farming, I'm not sure. <_<