Lures that look like fish

Newt

ill say all of them, if it looks like a fish and has an action like a fish (or even not) put it in front of an interested pike it will take it

I find that the soft fish type lures with just a belly hook get a lot of negative hits, cured by an add on flying treble.

i tend to take the treble off those lures and stick with a top single hook if its already got it. much easier to bump it along the bottom without picking up half the vegitation and no foul hooked pike aswel (top and bottom jaw sewed together) catch rate hasnt droped a bit since doing that

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tend to take the treble off those lures and stick with a top single hook if its already got it. much easier to bump it along the bottom without picking up half the vegitation and no foul hooked pike aswel (top and bottom jaw sewed together) catch rate hasnt droped a bit since doing that

And for what its worth I remove the single and any bottom trebles and just have a treble in the singles place!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie - if you have modified any of the Kickin Minnows you brought back, hows about a photo or three of the completed product.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ah - got it.

I will be sending you a few rattle chambers for those (and any other largish soft lures). Brass tube with several steel balls inside and pointed so you can just push it into the head section of the lure. I think it will increase fishy interest in them. I meant to suggest them when we were at BassPro but I guess there was so much going on that I forgot.

I like the glass ones better but with them used in the UK, someone would surely worry that the chamber would break and cut the fish. Never heard of one breaking and doubt there would be a problem if it did but I don't want you to get yelled at for something that dumb so I opted for the metal ones.

420107tn.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Newt,I forgot all about them as well despite us disscussing there possible merits.

One of our UK lure anglers Charlie Bettel has long had a bee in his bonnet about vibrations in lures.He usually makes his lures rattle.Im not totally sold on it but certainly dont think it can cause any harm!

When catting my mate Luke was keen on incorporating a rattle (Booby Bead) on the trace above his livebait.I couldnt see the point with a live bait but I did use one when clonking with a Jupe (a large hook loaded with lob worms and dressed with rubber skirts that is jigged vertically) to add a bit more attraction.

As they woulds be so easy to incorporate into soft plastics (ie just push in!) Im keen to try them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!