Giant freshwater stingray in Thailand.

RICKTHAILAND

post-142-1206245738_thumb.jpg

Basicly a flat drop net suported by a derrick.Would imagine you could incorporate a scale between net and derrick rope. lower net just below water and manouvere ray over it? The French use these for catching fish from the river and the first ever 100+ cat from the Saone was unceremoniously hoisted up in one!

they use a similar, if larger set-up in india

post-4157-1206316757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sipadan

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Rick,

That's part of your problem there Rick, on heavy gear you need to use a reel to match the rod or you spend more time fighting yourself with under powered reels. I'd be looking at IGFA 50 - 80lb class rods and 50 class reels to match. It may sound over kill but the difference on bringing even a 100lb skate in on 50 or 80lb class rods with a TLD30 2 speed (30 class reel) is un believable compared to an International 50 (50 class reel)

There is a simple solution to this also, rather than using wire which can damage the fish quite badly use a wind on leader of around 180lb then a 200lb hook length. That's pretty much the same problem we have with the skate and it certainly over came that. This article though directed at Common skate will give you a few ideas as we have basically the same problems with the fish Clicky

Cheers Davy,

I have not encountered Int 50 reels.I must admit to being a carp angler in the UK and that my knowledge of sea angling is very limited.This style of fishing is pretty much pioneering stuff and we are still on a learning curve with regards to rigs and tackle.Our terminal arrangment currently consists of a 2m 200-250lb wire trace with 2 mustad 8/0 circle hooks mounted 2 inch apart and firmly crimped with sleeves.This is in turn attached to a 10m length of 150lb flourocarbon and then 100lb power pro.

We have not experienced any damage to the fish using this setup the wire traces are extremely thick guaged and are unlike the wire traces that I have seen at home which have an extremely thin diameter and seem more prone to the cutting of fish.

With regards to the gaffing of fish we find this not to be necessary and prefer to overpower the fish with sheer man power. After securing the fishs tail we secure the fish to the boat through the spiracle/nasal passage with a strong soft chord.This enables us to transport the fish to shallower water for photography and release.Do Skate have spiracle?I have attached a picture of the method we use for retaining Giant freshwater stingray.

post-13853-1206345453_thumb.jpg

Hiya,

Whats that then Davy?

Simply it's a leader that can be wound right onto the reel. I use them all the time for the skate, mine are 18' of 180lb mono 4' of which is slid up inside a 10' length of 130lb hollow dacron (Chinese finger trap style) and the end of the dacron is made into a 2' loop. That then attaches to a 2' loop on the end of my braid using the "cat's paw" knot. As there are no big knots it means you can wind the whole lot onto the reel right up to the weight boom.

You can by them ready made from the States as they are used for all the big game stuff or make your own as I do. This link shows you how to make them.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

With regards to the gaffing of fish we find this not to be necessary and prefer to overpower the fish with sheer man power. After securing the fishs tail we secure the fish to the boat through the spiracle/nasal passage with a strong soft chord.This enables us to transport the fish to shallower water for photography and release.Do Skate have spiracle?I have attached a picture of the method we use for retaining Giant freshwater stingray.

LOL I'd love to be able to use that method as the Commons do have spiracle's, though I think I would struggle to get anyone to jump into cold Scottish water that's 400' deep to over power a Common :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Yup thats the one (allthough a LOT larger!) Sipadan.

Thanks Davey Ive not heard of that before (the term).

Exciting stuff Rik.I love it when you are after a new species/in a new situation and are having to work things out.Reminds me of our early days catting having to make gear and experiment.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hiya,

LOL I'd love to be able to use that method as the Commons do have spiracle's, though I think I would struggle to get anyone to jump into cold Scottish water that's 400' deep to over power a Common :)

Youre not wrong there mate!!Any chance of some close ups of the commons?Is there a season for the Skate I wouldnt mind having a bash myself.Ill be on the Ban Pakong in a few more days in search of yet more monsters.We could do with a few big strong lads like you and Budgie over here these captures are a real team effort.

I know where your comming from Rik! I used to struggle to convince people that the hardest part of catching big cats was all the humping them about! People thought I was being snobbish just returning low trebles in the water but after a few you just dont want to put the fish or yourself through all that grief!

Oh I forgot to say Rik, another thing Ive used to weigh big fish is a trailer cover.Even though they are flat and rectangular as they have the eyes all around the edge with a cord running through (used to tie down to trailer) you can gather up the loops in the cord to suit the shape of your fish and these loops can be hung from the scales.If you cant get one then IM sure you could get a good piece of tarpulin with eyelets put into it and a strong cord threaded through made up locally?

Oh I forgot to say Rik, another thing Ive used to weigh big fish is a trailer cover.Even though they are flat and rectangular as they have the eyes all around the edge with a cord running through (used to tie down to trailer) you can gather up the loops in the cord to suit the shape of your fish and these loops can be hung from the scales.If you cant get one then IM sure you could get a good piece of tarpulin with eyelets put into it and a strong cord threaded through made up locally?

This is all good stuff mate.Id like to get you and Davy over here to have a proper go at this place.

Would love to have a go soime time Rik,got a mate (Stu Gillham do you know him hes involved in the fishing scene there as well?) over there I wouldnt mind catching up with as well. Wont be this year though unfortunately as cash is tight and Ive got a campaign for a big bream all planned out and organised. But who knows? :rolleyes:

Is there a "best" time of year for them?

Edited by BUDGIE