Rod For Margin Carp Fishing

Elton

Posted on behalf of donn2 - please add all replies to this thread:

I recently asked the forum about a suitable test curve rod for carp fishing. Would a 2.5 test curve rod be ok for fishing in the margins for carp, say 5lb to low doubles?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It would be OK, but a bit heavy. If you already have one, then fine. If looking to buy and you're sure that you wouldn't want to do other kinds of carp fishing with it, then an avon rod or a carp/barbel rod with a 1.5 - 1.75 lb TC would be a lot more fun.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Posted on behalf of donn2 - please add all replies to this thread:

Much to heavy resulting in hook pulls unless you were extremely carefull.1 1/4 to 1 1/2 through action rod more than powerfull enough.In fact if I was fishing close in among/next to snags I would go even lighter with a 1lb through action and a reel with the clutch screwed all the way up!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger

I'd go slightly higher than previous posts and go with a through action rod of 2 lb test just in case you need to hold them or change waters and need to cast a bit.

I'd go slightly higher than previous posts and go with a through action rod of 2 lb test just in case you need to hold them or change waters and need to cast a bit.

Depends a bit on whether or not you will change lakes/change places you are fishing like not fishing in the near margins for 5lb to lower doubles to trying to catch high doubles.... So I agree with tigger with the 2lb TC.

Dan.

Edited by carphead100

I'm not really a fisherman, I just like to think I am.

The guy has said specificly margin fishing for 5lb-low double figure fish? why the need for such a powerfull rod as 2lb? Yes for an all round rod I would agree but all heavy rods in the margins do is pull hooks.

Maybe our definition of "margins" is different?

Only a few decades ago a 2lb rod would be classed as a "stepped up" rod! Even if you intend to use PVA bags,feeders etc (though god knows why in the margin?) you wouldnt need a rod as powerfull as that to "cast" them! Not only (IMO) is it total over kill but more importantly less efficient to land fish at such close quarters.

Why is everyone these days so keen to use such heavy rods? Am I missing something?

I reccomended a rod from a carp anglers point of veiw but to be honest a reccomendation for a "match carp/power float rod" might have been more apropriate if this is the guys normal style? I certainly think if commercials are his chosen water the pole and laccy sugestion is better than the heavy carp rod!

Guest tigger
The guy has said specificly margin fishing for 5lb-low double figure fish? why the need for such a powerfull rod as 2lb? Yes for an all round rod I would agree but all heavy rods in the margins do is pull hooks.

Maybe our definition of "margins" is different?

Only a few decades ago a 2lb rod would be classed as a "stepped up" rod! Even if you intend to use PVA bags,feeders etc (though god knows why in the margin?) you wouldnt need a rod as powerfull as that to "cast" them! Not only (IMO) is it total over kill but more importantly less efficient to land fish at such close quarters.

Why is everyone these days so keen to use such heavy rods? Am I missing something?

I reccomended a rod from a carp anglers point of veiw but to be honest a reccomendation for a "match carp/power float rod" might have been more apropriate if this is the guys normal style? I certainly think if commercials are his chosen water the pole and laccy sugestion is better than the heavy carp rod!

The reason I recommended a 2 lb test rod is for holding a fish back and preventing it running into weed / snags etc near the margins. In the past I've landed 26 lb carp on 4 lb line a winklepicker and an Abu 501 but that was in a totally weed and snag free waters. As I said I would use a through action rod and 2lb isn't that high a test curve.

The reason I recommended a 2 lb test rod is for holding a fish back and preventing it running into weed / snags etc near the margins.

Exactly the reason I reccomend a lighter rod! 2lb is far to heavy for "hit and hold" tactics.Everyone to their own but hooks will pull out that close in with a powerful rod.

All of my margin fishing (even abroad where Im targeting 80lb+ carp!) is done with rods lighter than 1 3/4.I use 2lb for medium range work where I need a rod with a bit more back bone due to weed etc.

The lighter through actioned rods coupled with a 15lb mono line (not that Im reccomending this for our initial poster) and not an inch given is by far the quickest and safest way to land carp close in next to weeds/snags etc.

I also feel that when we are talking about catching 8lb to low double figure fish that 2lb is "powerfull"!

Tigger just in case Im missing something what advantages do you feel the 2lb rod gives in such a situation?