chris_53

Hi all, as of today i'm a member of this forum, most of my fly fishing is done at small waters throughout the country but this season im hoping to concentrate most of my fishing at Llandegfedd, chew and blagdon and i hope to learn the art of fishing "LOCH" style or on the drift, so any advice or information anyone can offer me will be gratefully recieved, hope to hear from other members soon best wishes.........CHRIS.

i hope to learn the art of fishing "LOCH" style or on the drift, so any advice or information anyone can offer me will be gratefully recieved,

Would that be similar to LOUGH fishing? :lol::lol::lol:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Traditional loch style fishing was perfected on the large lochs like leven in Scotland and the big loughs of Southern Ireland. Normally it involves three anglers in a fair sized rowing boat working in rotation - one rowing and two fishing. The boat moves on a drift -usually parrelle with the shore - pushed by the wind. The anglers one at each end cast short floating lines mending the line and picking up the excess as the boat moves towards the fly. The rod is held high and the line controled so that the fly rises and falls in the top layers - usually a 9 to 10ft rod is best.There are may traditional patterns that are used - some of them excellent sedge imitators like- Dunkeld, Invicta,Mallard and Claret.Alexander, Teal and Silver, Geen Peter, Gold Ribbed hears Ear (Hackled and Winged). If you want to try it out then Lake Vrynwy is a great venue. The difference between simple slow drift and anchored fishing is you fish witth the speed of the wind - its not easy but can be very affective! If there are only two of you then a Drouge over the upwind side of the boat may help slow you down a bit - its the boundary where shallow shore meets a deeper drop off that is a classic Loch style target.