recommendations please

maver_fan

hi there i have a shimano exage stc 2.10/2.40 spinning rod and a shimano exage 2500 fb reel. i am looking to do some spinning in february while on holiday in scotland and wondered what line people who recommend that i use on the reel.

also if you have any advice on what spinners you would recommend it would be most welcome

mark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there i have a shimano exage stc 2.10/2.40 spinning rod and a shimano exage 2500 fb reel. i am looking to do some spinning in february while on holiday in scotland and wondered what line people who recommend that i use on the reel.

also if you have any advice on what spinners you would recommend it would be most welcome

mark

I sure you will get a few replies on this one Mark, but it might help you a bit more if you tell us a bit more. Its a big place Scotland with a lot of different types of waters and a few different species.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I sure you will get a few replies on this one Mark, but it might help you a bit more if you tell us a bit more. Its a big place Scotland with a lot of different types of waters and a few different species.

well to narrow it down alot. i should be off to orkney. no clue on what there is to catch up there as i've never been before.

well to narrow it down alot. i should be off to orkney. no clue on what there is to catch up there as i've never been before.

Not a clue what you might catch up there in feb, ive never even been that far in summer.

Might be a good idea to read this this. :)

I've looked at this rod in my local tackle shop. It has a CWT of 10-30g I think, if it's the same rod as there's a few in the range. So any lure, be it micro jerk, spinnerbait, spoon, spinner or plug will be ok to just over an ounce in weight. I'd go for power pro braid in 20 - 30 lbs and fish the smaller lures for chub and perch but seeing as you're up Orkney, Trout and Perch ;) The set up will handle accidental Pike captures.

I've looked at this rod in my local tackle shop. It has a CWT of 10-30g I think, if it's the same rod as there's a few in the range. So any lure, be it micro jerk, spinnerbait, spoon, spinner or plug will be ok to just over an ounce in weight. I'd go for power pro braid in 20 - 30 lbs and fish the smaller lures for chub and perch but seeing as you're up Orkney, Trout and Perch ;) The set up will handle accidental Pike captures.

I would guess the trout season will be closed in Feb.

I would guess the trout season will be closed in Feb.

OOPS!! my mistake :o just fish for the Perch then and any Trout that fall to the lures can be called accidental :rolleyes:

Edited by arkay

OOPS!! my mistake :o just fish for the Perch then and any Trout that fall to the lures can be called accidental :rolleyes:

Has Orkney got any coarse fish?

I'd bet my jewels it has perch. Also Grayling, debatable coarse fish due to the adipose fin but I stand to be corrected on both counts.

And I'm not looking for a fight, I was trying to give advice on the set up more than the venue :fishing:

I'd bet my jewels it has perch. Also Grayling, debatable coarse fish due to the adipose fin but I stand to be corrected on both counts.

And I'm not looking for a fight, I was trying to give advice on the set up more than the venue :fishing:

I wasn't looking for a fight either, but if you've got some jewels i might have them. :)

Edited by lutra