recommendations please

maver_fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be inclined to load the reel up with 14lb fireline which for me at least is a lot easier to handle that the 20 - 30lb Power Pro that's already been suggested. Whichever you choose, make sure hat you know the appripriate knots for braid because most of those used for coarse fishing are unreliable with these lines.

I'd also make shure you have wire leaders for freswater and mono leaders if you're going to do any fishing in the sea - spinning for coalies can be great fun.

Without knowing what sort of water you'll be fishing, recomending lures is difficult because what's appropriate for a small river isn't going to be the best choice for a dirty great lough.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

perch and trout on 14lb line ? bit over gunned are we ken :P .

arkay is it light spinners you want to use like little meps or actual lures like the size of shads

if meps like spinners then id suggest 4lb diawa sensor if not then what ken suggests would do the trick

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I couldn't find any reference to coarse fishing in the Orkneys, and the trout seems to be mainly fly only. If I were you I'd explore the shore fishing prospects.

This site gives a breakdown of spots and likely species. There must be one near where you're stopping.

http://www.seaanglingorkney.com/shore/

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have fished Orkney a lot and there are zero coarse fish, that is none. There are certainly no Grayling so Arkays jewels are looking a bit precarious :o (There are no rivers on Orkney)

As far as I know there are no grayling to speak of in Scottish waters north of the Tay / Tummel.

The only freshwater fishing is in the Lochs for brown trout and they will be out of season. The waters are bailiffed very seriously and the locals would take a very dim view of anyone spinning in the lochs out of season

I'm afraid it is sea fishing or nothing, and I can't help you with that

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Spinning in Orkney, in February........now there's something you don't hear about everyday and with good reason :lol:

Coarse fish are non existent. The brown trout season will be closed and if there are any pike to be had, they're going to be frozen to the bottom and reluctant to chase lures.

Rock fishing is your best bet. Grab yourself some cheap kosters/slim jims/toby's/jelly worms etc and see if you can catch some pollack. Just be careful! The swells up there can be hellish at that time of year.

Edited by ooarr_not_a_maggot

Spinning in Orkney, in February........now there's something you don't hear about everyday and with good reason :lol:

Coarse fish are non existent. The brown trout season will be closed and if there are any pike to be had, they're going to be frozen to the bottom and reluctant to chase lures.

Rock fishing is your best bet. Grab yourself some cheap Kosters/slim jims/toby's/jelly worms etc and see if you can catch some pollack. Just be careful! The swells up there can be hellish at that time of year.

I've never heard of Pike in Orkney. :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

perch and trout on 14lb line ? bit over gunned are we ken

Yep; but it's a travel outfit and I'd not only assumed that pike were present but also that it'd be used for fishing in other locations and other circumstances.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

OK!! so I know nowt about Orkney :rolleyes: my suggestions were mainly about the tackle.

I suggested power pro in 20-30lb not because of the strength of it but because of the dia' of it. In my opinion, and that of people who know a lot about fishing braid, which did sway my opinion when I first started fishing lures, braid should be chosen by equivalent mono dia' and not b/s, and funnily enough 4lb sensor is just between 20 and 30lb PP as dia's go.

I reckon the 14lb braid mentioned (if it's as relatively thin as PP) would cause a bit of grief with wind knots on a multi/baitcaster, too thin!

Checked my jewels, still there, sweating away!!

I reckon/hope someone should be along to back me up on this soon :unsure: