Your views on the Nikon D40

nomadpaul

First proper post in the photography thread and i'm relying on your expertise for advice.

Simple thing is that i'm thinking of getting into photography a bit more seriously so want something a little better than a point and shoot digital. I would think it'd be mostly used for scenic shots/wildlife etc

I have read a couple of write ups on this model and it seems to fit the bill for an entry level camera . I've also seen a new one for sale for a little over £230 which seemed like a good price.

So , is the Nikon D40 for me ?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Edited by nomadpaul

First proper post in the photography thread and i'm relying on your expertise for advice.

Simple thing is that i'm thinking of getting into photography a bit more seriously so want something a little better than a point and shoot digital. I would think it'd be mostly used for scenic shots/wildlife etc

I have read a couple of write ups on this model and it seems to fit the bill for an entry level camera . I've also seen a new one for sale for a little over £230 which seemed like a good price.

So , is the Nikon D40 for me ?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

I may be biased, (Nikon user of 20 years) but IMHO :rolleyes: Nikon have taken the high ground recently, only just, but reviews seem to give them a 1 or 2% lead. Essentialy, thats not a lot, but a win is a win. The one area Nikon are streets ahead on is their kit lenses, again, its not me, the reviews seem to give as much as a 10% advantage over competitors equivelent. The Nikon 18-55 and 18-70 are real gems, not seen anything on the 18-135?

Nikons build quality is another area highlighted by the media, as solid in comparison with . . . .

Try Ken Rokwells angle:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

He is a bit OTT, between the eyes, :lol: but he does say it as it is, follow his links, 'after reading the review', he is very inforamative.

The D40 has got to be at the top of the list if its a DSLR you crave after!

SW

i would have to say that the d40 is an excellent place to start with a DSLR. yes it cant drive any non AFS/HSM lenses, but many many lenses are being released with these now from Nikon and Sgima and others across a wide range of price bands.

I have the D80 and my father-in-law wanted a DSLR for his birthday, mum-in-law gave me a chunk of change and asked me to get one and i picked up the D40 for him. Its got all the bits on it you would need as a beginner and importantly, if you deide in 12 months to step up to the D80 or its successor then you can still use the lenses you have.

its doesnt have a couple of features like Commander mode (for remote control of flash units) or a focus motor, but for the price and the quality i dont think you can go wrong.

i would have to say that the d40 is an excellent place to start with a DSLR. yes it cant drive any non AFS/HSM lenses, but many many lenses are being released with these now from Nikon and Sgima and others across a wide range of price bands.

I have the D80 and my father-in-law wanted a DSLR for his birthday, mum-in-law gave me a chunk of change and asked me to get one and i picked up the D40 for him. Its got all the bits on it you would need as a beginner and importantly, if you deide in 12 months to step up to the D80 or its successor then you can still use the lenses you have.

its doesnt have a couple of features like Commander mode (for remote control of flash units) or a focus motor, but for the price and the quality i dont think you can go wrong.

That what them that knows are saying, ' . . . you cant go wrong'. On the lens front, the new style of lens (INMHO) are superb at the price, and for the 'new to DSLRs' its great to have one less thing to worry about. By the time a 'newbie' has truly mastered the D40, the lens market will be full up to speed, or the 'newbie', by now, turned 'anorak'? :lol: will be looking to move on anyway. By then the older style 'D' bodies will be 'as cheap as chips' as we, old style body owners move on.

Trawling through, 'fleeBay' last night, I came up with loads of bargins that would suit the new D40 owner, and remember a D40 lens will work on the more advanced? :wacko: (complicated) bodies. The D40 owner can take great pictures, its only the . . . :o . . . . behind the camera that think all the 'knobs and whistles' make a photographer!

SW

For learning, you want one that can handle fully manual settings.

Avoid the D40. Although it's a great camera, it can't drive the older screw-drive AF lenses. This will limit your 2nd hand choices.

Hay thats a bit unfair, D40 not able to do manual!? I would suggest you look again 'Andy-g'. Just cos it ain't got an 'out of date?' :headhurt: aperture ring, set the aperture on the camera, as you look through the view finder and see it change if you wish. Unless Nikon have changed things since I last looked :camera::blink:

Take a look her Andy for up to date info;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/d40-specifications.htm

Gives a full speck and review.

SW

PS, by the way, I have no axe to grind other than at entry level, the D40/lens package, takes some beating, on value, quality, out of the box fuctionality, instant picture from the word go, leaves the owner to learn the basics in the art of 'photography'. I dont even own a D40.

Edited by Sutton Warrior

The D40 (or D40x if you want the extra 4MP) is a great camera for someone starting out on the DSLR scene. Nikon cameras work out a bit more expensive than comparable Canons, but from what I've heard there have been some reliability problems with the latter and they don't seem to be as well built either - and that's coming from someone who used only Canon SLR's for over 25 years. With the normal lens kit you get with the D40 you'll have enough options to suit most situations though if you aim to do wildlife photography you will eventually be looking at a longer lens (something up to 300-500mm - Sigma do a very good one that does not cost too much, far cheaper than the Nikon optics anyway).

It is true that some lenses will not auto-focus on the D40, but Rockwell's site will help you out there (I was surprised to find that the 50mm lens that works fine on my D80 will not a-f on the D40!).

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hay thats a bit unfair, D40 not able to do manual!? I would suggest you look again 'Andy-g'. Just cos it ain't got an 'out of date?' :headhurt: aperture ring, set the aperture on the camera, as you look through the view finder and see it change if you wish. Unless Nikon have changed things since I last looked :camera::blink:

Take a look her Andy for up to date info;

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/d40-specifications.htm

Gives a full speck and review.

SW

PS, by the way, I have no axe to grind other than at entry level, the D40/lens package, takes some beating, on value, quality, out of the box fuctionality, instant picture from the word go, leaves the owner to learn the basics in the art of 'photography'. I dont even own a D40.

Sadly you again fail to read whats typed!!!!

Maybe i should have typed it better. I didnt type it cant do full manual. i put for learning you want a camera with full manual setting.<<<<The . is a full stop i then went onto say i would avoid the d40

the chap asked for advise

thats what i gave :wallbash:

Sadly you again fail to read whats typed!!!!

Maybe i should have typed it better. I didnt type it cant do full manual. i put for learning you want a camera with full manual setting.<<<<The . is a full stop i then went onto say i would avoid the d40

the chap asked for advise

thats what i gave :wallbash:

Nikon's D40 has 'full manual function', however the aperture is dialed on the camera not the lens, splitting hairs? Your advise ignores the fundamental, 'Nomadpaul' is obviously looking budget, 'entry level', nothing budget about the D40 other than the price. Old style mechanics as a learning tool, sorry, buying, second hand . . . the man wont have a clue, my advise would be to take the easy route. A D40 with the 2 kit lenses covering 18-200mm (27-300mm), will potentially deliver great pictures instantly, the 'photographic learning curve' is much more fun that way. John S, has put the point, the next hurdle will probably be 'wild life and a long telephoto', thats an expensive hurdle which ever camp you are in. :camera:

If I get confused by your advise 'Andy-g', have a thought for those your are advising?

SW