Slugs as bait

Rob Ward

Just wondering if anyone has had success with Slugs for species other than Chub and Tench?

I'm specifically thinking of Perch but would also be interested to hear about other species.

I have only ever had Chub on them, but would also be interested in this thread.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

guess what ------ carp love them!!

yeh but lets be honest, carp will eat a bare hook if its left there long enough!

i remember reading an article a while back about a guy who ran out of bait on the bank and just happened to find a slug. he hooked it just to see if it worked and caught one of his best fish ever. for the next 30 mins he was scrabbling around the bank trying to find more!

yeh but lets be honest, carp will eat a bare hook if its left there long enough!

i remember reading an article a while back about a guy who ran out of bait on the bank and just happened to find a slug. he hooked it just to see if it worked and caught one of his best fish ever. for the next 30 mins he was scrabbling around the bank trying to find more!

I remember once when I ran out of bait when I was fishing a small moat in Gosport; all I could find were woodlice and I was surprised when I started catching small bream on them.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Once while fishing on a river Mole tributory I misidentified a large looking fish lying under some overhanging branches/bushes on the other far bank (to be fair only about 12-14 feet wide). I assumed it was a large chub, and since there were loads of slugs around I thought I'd give one a shot, as I'd heard they were effective for them. I put a large sized one on a size 12 with a small bomb and 4lb line and swung it within a foot of it. After about 15 seconds it cruised towards it and I realized (to my horror!) that it was a 10lb plus pike. I immediately attempted to pull the bait away, but it was too late, the pike had grabbed it, so my attempt to abort acted as a strike. Hooked into it but needless to say within seconds the hook was gone, as was the fish!

Large snails are even better, but taking them out of the shell and hooking them will give you nightmares for weeks afterwards.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.