Fluke, the lucky flounder

Kieran Hanrahan

True story, several witnesses (some probably still laughing)...

Myself and the brother were fishing Keem Bay in Achill on Sunday and doing quite well. In fact he beat me 11:5 over the tide.

I had a crack off on braid with the short rod (first of the year). An hour later, the same rod picks up a coalfish (two a penny at the moment) and in he comes, complete with braid around the hook. Having dropped him back, I start to hand haul the braid in, thinking "you lucky so-and-so, you're getting your rig back" only to find a flounder attached to the top hook (complete with uneaten ragworm!) on the end of the trace. Perfectly well alive. I unhooked the flounder and dropped him back none the worse for wear only to realise that the weight is not mine, (mine was a grip lead)... so the braid and rig is not mine.

It was someone else's recent crack off... how about that for one flukey flounder!

:D:D:D

Pictures on the gallery (page 5)

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Years ago I had a crack-off at Dungeness.

Chevin was fishing next to me and as he retrieved his gear found it was tangled with my recently lost rig, which had a couple of four-pound codling attached. He removed them, cracked them on the head and said "Two-nil to me then"

"But they were caught on my rig" I protested

"No" said Chevin "your rig was lost"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

my mate does this all the time, we lose the rig, he hauls it in with either a fish on his rig or or on the one we lost on the cast...

i swear he doesnt need a rod, he could just stand near the water and the fish would throw themselves at him.