Help, I've just bought a pole.

Sportsman

You don't need all the paraphenalia to start with, just a box that you can sit on comfortably. You might need a bit of wood to put under your left foot to get it to the right height without having your heel off the deck, which causes strain after a while. The other stuff can come later.

Oh, talking of bits of wood, a couple of wooden wedges to level your box off does wonders for your back whether you are fishing a pole or normal rod.

Edited by ColinW

If you want to make the small type pots for feeding whilst fishing go to any Film Processing shop and ask them to save you some of the containers the films come in. Make a hole about 3/4 of the way down so that the connector and stonfo will just go through. As the lids are really tight you can experiment by say, drilling a few small holes in the lid so bait sprinkles out when you tap the pole or cut the middle out of the lid but leave a rim so there is less chance of bait spilling out as you are shipping your pole out.

Roosts for top sections. These are only really needed if you have a lot of tops which you intend to set up all at once, for example in a match. If you just have 1-2, use a couple of rod rests to keep them off the ground so you dont stand on them.

A cupping kit - again depends on how much pole fishing you do. In England a lot of commercial waters wont let you throw groundbait in it either has to be cupped or put in with a feeder.

Rollers - I have found to my cost recently that the V rollers aren't much good in the wind. You have to be careful because a lot of rollers look pretty substantial but are just plastic. They aren't much cop coz the first gust of wind and they are over and you've a broken pole section (I've a Preston Innovation V Roller which are more substantial but in the high winds this spring I've already lost one sectio costing me £150) Flat rollers are better. The Boss ones even though they have really spindly legs are the best so look out for second hand.

I hope this is of help and you catch loads with your pole.

:D

On the subject of second hand poles and equipment. has anyone got a cheap pole for sale, my lad is looking to start, he's only 10 so I would think an 8m would do fine. I am in the Buckinghamshire area.

Cheers

Gaz

I would say that 8m would be too long. I have a 7m cheap tele pole and it weights a fair bit when you have to hold it continually. There are lighter poles but they are correspondingly more expensive.

Tony

A basic pole is cheap as chips.

A very quick look on the first site that I thought of comes up with this for less than twenty quid.

I bought a cheap tele whip a few years ago for catching livebaits and I think it cost me less than a tenner.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.