Feature finding in weedy waters

Mat Hillman

50m line of sight is normal for Bluetooth, but you can get modules with 1km LOS range. I get 33m line of sight to a Bluetooth weather station in my greenhouse.

However, this thing isn't Bluetooth based, it's got a built-in 802.11 WiFi hotspot. Range is 100m on Android and 60m on Apple devices.

50m line of sight is normal for Bluetooth, but you can get modules with 1km LOS range. I get 33m line of sight to a Bluetooth weather station in my greenhouse.

However, this thing isn't Bluetooth based, it's got a built-in 802.11 WiFi hotspot. Range is 100m on Android and 60m on Apple devices.

Indeed, but being partially submerged in choppy water is hardly ideal conditions and unlikely to lead to anywhere near optimum range on any radiowave based system bluetooth wifi or otherwise . . . .

Mat

Not ideal, though at least the surface of water is *relatively* flat. Comes down to how well designed it is, I suppose. It's got an aerial sticking out of the top of it.

I know Steve Burke has got one, it would be interesting to know how well it works in practice. Having done some beachcasting practice over grass and measured the distances, I'm not sure that many people really fish at as long range as they think they do!