bolt rigs - setting the clutch

The Flying Tench

I have read so of above and thought I would add my tuppence worth:

Bolt rigs were designed to 'prick a carp' causing it to run.

Picking up the rod sets the hook.

Bait runners designed by shimano were designed to allow sport fish to take a bait and run with it.

Turning the handle or flicking the switch engages the clutch causing the rod to bend and set the hooks.

Semi fixed bolt rigs for carp are designed to drop a snagged lead.

The lead helps prick a fish but is not there to actually set the hook (although it happens some of the time). I am sure on many occasions I have lost a lead where a carp has taken the bait, pricked itself and run hard and fast.

Shimano bait runners have a secondary clutch to set the tension of the freespool.

It stops overruns but also aids in conjunction with a tight line to keep the pricked hook in place until rod is picked up and clutch engaged.

When using the method which involves a free running method feeder,an angler is relying on the feeder to prick the fish and the tension of the line against the quiver tip to set the hook.

I believe I have missed bites or lost more fish when using both semi fixed or method feeders when the fish has run towards me due to having no line tension to hold hook in place.

A final thought with semi fixed rigs is that modern rigs when tied correctly are designed for the hook to turn over into the fishes bottom lip causing a greater pricking effect in a softer part of the mouth allowing the hook to stay in place until rod is picked up and hook fully pulled into mouth.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thats a lot of pricks, rudd.

*giggles

Sent from my blackberry!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!