It's time to eat!

Dave H

It has always fascinated me how fish will just switch on at a specific time to feed and then switch off?

We all know that usually dusk and dawn are feeding times but how about 3pm-4pm or 11pm-12pm?

I say this as i know of a specific river destination that between the hours of 3pm-4.30pm approx the pike just go into a frenzy but before and after you really are wasting your time.Maybe their feeder fish arrive at the same time but then would they have a time slot?

I have had a similar experience with Tench in a morning time span?

So what can we deduce from this?

If anything?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Several years ago a friend and I used to regularly fish at a local gravel pit from approx 4:30 am through to 8 am and catch lots of big Tench before changing and going to work.

At around 8am as we packed our gear away and the sun got higher in the sky; the tench would move further out into much deeper water and you wouldn't see them again till late in the evening after most of the other anglers had gone home for their dinners.

Some anglers there had never even seen a tench from the water.

NB: there wasn't a lot of bankside disturbance and was/is not a crowded water by any means.

This is quite common on these types of water and I think it's simply because the tiny red eyes of the tench are very sensitive to bright sunlight. and although they will still feed throughout the day they just migrate to deeper water well away from the bank.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes indeed Dave.

There were many swims on the Yorkshire rivers - especially the Swale venues which had a lot of "4 o'clock Holes" (swims - we call them holes up here)

Not a bite all day till then, then Bang - the Barbel would come on with a vengeance.

Not much good in a match then when "Time" was often called about that time!! or maybe 4:30 - 5:00 in the summer matches giving one maybe 30 minutes to an hours proper fishing time.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Also, "Long Walks" were generally the order of the day!! so trolleys/barrows were out. had to negotiate a few styles in order to cross fields.

Holdall with 2 rods (1 float & 1 Leger) + Brolly & bank sticks, Wicker Basket with 2 reels, & float box with bombs, plummets etc + flask sarnies & bait.

Keep net in a canvas bag - Those were the days!!!!!!

Don't know how we did it!!!

Can anyone remember the 1970's "Players No 6 Aid to Angling" sponsorship?? where you were given a plastic keep net bag, a packet of 3 cigs* + a tankard for the match winner.

*One reason I now need a trolley to cart my gear lol,

Pity they don't now sponsor their aid to Angling deal - & offer to carry your gear to pay for the damage they've caused through smoking!!!!!

Edited by Martin56

Yes - smoking or not was a matter of choice, but they started it & they made billions & continue to do so..

Players No 6 - "Cool as a Mountain Stream" they said at the pictures.