Compel local council to take care of lakes / waterways?

philocalist

Does anyone have any accurate information (or a link to a site with current, understandable info) that will help me establish what, if any, legislation is in place that can be invoked to compel a local council to take more care / be more pro-active about lakes and waterways within their geographical boundaries?

I'm thinking specifically about the upkeep and care and maintenance of park lakes (particularly where fishing is involved), but also about some form of action against Giant Hogweed, which is raising its head locally more and more each year ... I'm fairly certain that there IS some sort of legal responsibilty for the removal of this plant, but I can no longer find the info I had.

A telephone enquiry to the relevent department got me no-where beyond a typical non-response blaming budget cuts, finances and workforce availability etc ... I'm trying to find out what measures local councils are compelled to take by law (either UK or EU ... I'm not fussy :-) ), hoping there might be something there that can be used as a lever?

philo

Leave it to a Yank to comment eh?

Their activities fall into three main categories: representing the local community, delivering services to meet local needs, and improving quality of life and community well being. Among the multitude of others - these councils have "General Power of Competence" introduced somewhere around 2011 - 12. Looks like that may be a good source for you?

Phone

Its not illegal to grow giant hogweed on your land, but it is illegal to allow to spread off your land. If there is access to it and you don't take measures to protect people from it, that is illegal. Deffo wouldn't be good if someone got hurt and you had been informed it was there.

Google giant hogweed legislation.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwif36if14jTAhXLC8AKHaZWAJ8QFgggMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soilutions.co.uk%2Fguides%2Fgiant-hogweed-legislation%2F&usg=AFQjCNGFTiikJwU8l3RIPYOwwUzYUlyjnA

ps. it might be easiest for the council to ban access and fishing.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep