Swim goes dead

The Flying Tench

With restricted mobility there are fewer swims accessible to me and its a lot of hassle  to move swims. Therefore there is  a strong incentive to get things right first time and not scare the fish.   What with aging  and angina, on reaching my swim I have to have ten minutes rest whether I like it or not.   I use the ten minutes by flicking in a few bait particles and observing what happens.  A ripple, a flash underwater, a bulge, movement of water plants (other than by wind or current), bubbles, an underwater "smokescreen" - you might even see a fish !   Whatever, do not be in too much of a hurry.  Flick a little more loose feed in and set your tackle up with minimum noise and movement.  However careful you are, you will scare more fish than you ever know, 

If swim goes dead STOP FISHING,  loose feed for ten minutes then start again.

Fish are roughly as wary as wild birds  When did you last have a wild bird perch within a rod's length of you ?

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Need to rest the swim, try a different area for a bit

And then go in with different bait - try liquidised corn with different colours and flavours of groundbait, chilli hemp etc.

You don't have to buy groundbait, I rate Paxo Golden breadcrumbs it has paprika in it

There is no limit to groundbait try tinned fish in there, I prefer the brine ones you don't want an oily mess in the water.

Plenty of old books have fantastic tips, look out for Ivan Marks writings