Frog spawn

I was given half a bucket of frog spawn by a local stable as it was in a wheel rut and was drying out due to the warm dry weather. Instead of putting it into my pond as it would probably be eaten by the newts I put it into a newt rearing hippo which was originally a sand pit or paddling pool. The tadpoles started to form and then it was gone. Clues were bits of spawn on the ground and stuck to the side of the hippo. The only conclusion I could come to was it had been snatched by a fox or aliens, the fox seems more likely. 😐

Err theres a rumour hippos eat it its easier to get down than melons!

https://www.mangolinkcam.com/videos/funny/video-hippo-eating-watermelon.html

PS never write off aliens🤫

PPS your conservation needs work! You turned frogs into hippo/fox/alien food and grass fertiliser!

AHH i now see the hippo ,our kids one was a turtle ,no frogs just sand and the odd bit of cat ****

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Conservation is a disaster this year. 2 cats fighting fell into my pond in February and scrambling out their claws punctured the lining lowering the water level by 2 feet to just a foot. Booked my gardener/handyman to replace the liner in February/March before the newts spawned, gales meant a lot of fence panels down but he'd do it ASAP. Now May and not done so too late as newts have been spawning since April so will have to leave it until December so will probably lose this years young. 😐

Pond relined and refilled so now looking for frog and newt spawn as now a safe haven due to local "killer cats" having died so frogs should be safe. 😃

Edited by Norm B
Add

At least you will have 'global warming' to look forward to ,the water will be warm enough to paddle in until the newts find it

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 10 months later...

1922's disaster ran into 1923's disaster as the long hot summer cooked most stuff in my ponds and hippo. MOST, if not all my red Rams Horm water snails cooked in the shallow waters as my gardener  was TOO busy to replace the new liner I'd bought previously to repair the pond. Eventually I got him to replace the liner and it wasn't good news as although there was about 30 palmate and smooth newts left in about a foot of water all the smalls were dead and no great cresteds to be seen. I've put the newts into the hippo while the chlorine dissipates from the new pond, it's a mix of rainwater and tap water. I need some Canadian pond weed etc. for the newts to spawn in and if anybody has a pair or two of GCNs they would be appreciated and given a safe home. I'd collect if not too far. I'd also like some spawn of frog and toad as the killer cats have died so everything will be a lot safer. No I didn't shoot them, 2 died of old age and the other 2 died of cancer or similar illness. So once I get some weed, snails ad daphnia in all is ready to go. TIA. 😀

• 10 months later...
On 3/27/2023 at 6:09 PM, Norm B said:

1922's disaster ran into 1923's disaster as the long hot summer cooked most stuff in my ponds and hippo. MOST, if not all my red Rams Horm water snails cooked in the shallow waters as my gardener  was TOO busy to replace the new liner I'd bought previously to repair the pond. Eventually I got him to replace the liner and it wasn't good news as although there was about 30 palmate and smooth newts left in about a foot of water all the smalls were dead and no great cresteds to be seen. I've put the newts into the hippo while the chlorine dissipates from the new pond, it's a mix of rainwater and tap water. I need some Canadian pond weed etc. for the newts to spawn in and if anybody has a pair or two of GCNs they would be appreciated and given a safe home. I'd collect if not too far. I'd also like some spawn of frog and toad as the killer cats have died so everything will be a lot safer. No I didn't shoot them, 2 died of old age and the other 2 died of cancer or similar illness. So once I get some weed, snails ad daphnia in all is ready to go. TIA. 😀

I was scooping the dead leaves from the pond as with all the gales there were plenty of leaves in the pond although I've had the trees around the pond lopped, trees from farther away have had their leaves blown in.

Surprisingly I've scooped up some very small newt tadpoles which must be late hatchers from last year's spawn, they are now safely in the hippo and aquarium until they grow bigger as adult newts are now out of hibernation in the pond, very early, so I'll have to start feeding them soon. As of last year, any "spare frog or toad spawn spawn" will be welcome as the "killer cats" are no longer a threat to them. Also, any ramshorn snails, red or black are welcome, I can collect them locally, or will pay postage. Cheers, Norman.

2 minutes ago, Norm B said:

I was scooping the dead leaves from the pond as with all the gales there were plenty of leaves in the pond although I've had the trees around the pond lopped, trees from farther away have had their leaves blown in.

Surprisingly I've scooped up some very small newt tadpoles which must be late hatchers from last year's spawn, they are now safely in the hippo and aquarium until they grow bigger as adult newts are now out of hibernation in the pond, very early, so I'll have to start feeding them soon. As of last year, any "spare Canadian pond weed, frog and toad spawn spawn" will be welcome as the "killer cats" are no longer a threat to them. Also, any ramshorn snails, red or black are welcome, I can collect them locally, or will pay postage. Cheers, Norman.

Edited by Norm B