" No I turned it off incase it exploded"

Me "Is it still leaking?"

D " No"

Me"That means it's probably not your tank "

Me"Check to see if it's dripping at the right hand side"

D "No"

Me" Ok the hose at the pumps fine "

Me "Look under the seat "

D " It stinks of petrol ,wait there's a bit of pipe off the carb " (she's been taught a little over the years of dad mechanics on her bike)

Me "Ok is there enough to push it on after you pull off the bit on the carb?"

5 minutes of puffing trying to get the clip off the stub of pipe on carb "ok it's on but I can't get the clip back on "

Me "Ok can you get it here?"

D " I was coming anyway and am about 2 miles away"

Me "ok come over slowly it should be fine"

Bike arrives diag starts.

I was going to just put a new clamp on the pipe thinking the vibration had weakened the pipe where it plugs into the carb but strangely it snapped pulling if off the carb . The pipe is 3 years old she had it fitted as it was blue like here bike 🫣

I fit a new filter on every year and it was only done 2 months ago and the pipe looks fine (and still does) but despite this it broke trying to pull it off the carb 🤔

Decided to order new pipe but to be safe ordered the old fashioned rubber stuff ,it's arriving tomorrow so I spent the last couple of hours dismantling the bike (discovering the 'mechanic' that fitted her new tire didn't do up the axel nut tight enough and didn't fit a split pin and left a few screws out reassembling the body work🤬

But discovered the pipe had ballooned to 3 times it's diameter and only saved by the conduit it runs through stopping it popping it took a bit of effort getting it out.

Now silicone should be fine BUT googling discovered it's weakened by ethanol and what's been put in petrol? Ethanol!

So beware it's not so good as you think and there's no warnings out there it's sold as petrol pipe but as you can see it's not fit for purpose and could be deadly .And yes it is that size !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1ldljjmee6g6d0/20230607_202604.jpg?dl=0

And yes I am mystified by the choice of colour it's only visible for 3 inches each end but being handed 2 mtrs dad had no choice but to follow his daughters wishes

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

That could have ended badly.

Thankfully, everything turned out okay.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A nightmare job ,put in new pipe (you have to remove several body panels in order to get to filter and fuel pump) put it all back together and started it an looked to see if there was leaks.No leaks but spotted a split pipe I had missed as it was so thin. Unfortunately that's on the other side so dismantling starts .Never had a reason to strip that side so bolts and screws rusted .One was completely rounded so the screwdriver couldn't get a grip Japanese steel isnt that great in everyday stuff and my 3 sets of removal bits didn't make a scratch on the heads . Bugger but I have a set of left hand thread cobalt drills and instantly it caught on the thing and unscrewed it and I was saved. The actual pipe now easy to see was just the drain pipe for the carb but replacing that uncovered a split in the carb bellows so more dismantling so rubber glue and self amalgamating tape fixed that and now am waiting for the sun to go down so I can put it back together.2007 piaggio so aged components expected

Looked up the price of a new bellows but at 70-80 quid for a bit of rubber a joke so it will stay put

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It's only there to keep the rubbish out but if you need one, all sorts can be found on Ali-Express for a couple of quid and you should find one to fit.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All back together (touch wood) replaced any rusty bolts with stainless the bolts are in well in the plastic under the carpet so sit in water in the winter . Did the left hand side last night until driven indoors by mozzies the right I started on at 5-30 this morning to avoid sunstroke .Who says bumble bees are disappearing ? There's hundreds in my poppies they should get up earlier to count.

3 deer wandered past, one stamped it's foot when it spotted me but are tame enough not to bolt on sight of me ,there's 4 or 5 that are local they generally kip under a branble covered bush in the day then generously scoff my roses at night.

It's a nice bike to work on unlike these Chinese crap that fall apart and all the locating lugs snap off first time you try and get them apart and 90% of the bits available but at a cost ! No chance with Chinese scoots you might as well skip them if you crash them you can't get the panels.

Biggest letdown is exhausts £300+ were not talking 12 foot long car exhausts here just an 18" box !gum gum will do with the leak