A LESSON LEARNED?

Janet

Walking along the river bank tonight, on my way home from work, I spotted a couple of teenagers fishing.

They looked like your usual "yobs". Trackies, hoodies etc.....there was litter scattered about - beer cans, crisp packets etc. No sign of unhooking mats or landing nets....yes, the usual culprits!

Normally I avoid aggro, but this is MY local river, and a red mist descended, so feeling brave, I decided to go down and confront them.

On getting closer, it became obvious that the litter wasn't new, and had been there for some time, probably left after the last flood. One of the youths was just playing a nice chub of about three or four pounds. I couldn't see any sign of a landing net, and was just waiting for him to do the usual thing that I've witnessed so many times before, and drag the poor fish up the gravel bank and rip the hook out before unceremoniously chucking it back.

How wrong could I have been? He played the fish in until it was close to the bank, then walked into the water up to his ankles, caught hold of the fish and very carefully unhooked it. His mate took a couple of pictures on a mobile phone, all the time with the captor urging him to hurry up. Still standing in the water, he very carefully lowered the fish back into the water, and held it until it swam away strongly.

Just goes to show. You can't judge by appearances.

Janet

Please don't tell me I should have reported them for fishing out of season. I have tried several times to report other incidents to the EA, but after holding on for over fifteen minutes, just gave up. Do they not work after 5.00pm?

Please don't tell me I should have reported them for fishing out of season.

I would have let them off to, lets face it as teenagers they could be up to a lot worse.

On the other hand if it had been 6lb+ I would have dialed 999 and screamed murder. :spiteful:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would have let them off to, lets face it as teenagers they could be up to a lot worse.

On the other hand if it had been 6lb+ I would have dialed 999 and screamed murder. :spiteful:

There is a local brook by my house that is'nt run by any organisation (as far as I know) and has never seen a balif in its life, its about a 2 mile stretch and is full of wonderful fighting chubb. I have fished it since my dear Mum let me out of the house alone and Im 26 now with kids. I have vowed never to fish this brook during close season and have never ever been down ther without a rod license but I always seem to hold my tonuge when I see the local scum and riff raff off the estate taking time out from smashing phone boxes and robbing grannies to enjoy a spot of fishing. They turn into different people by the bank and will always engage in conversation. I spoke to 2 young lads the other night while i was walking my *WELL BEHAVED, PISCATORIAL TOLERENT*, dogs :P:P . When I asked "Had any luck" they replied "We have had some greyling" I was sceptical and didnt really believe them as in all my years I had never seen the good lady down there but one of the youths produced a new "How To Fish" pocket book from his bag and said " We are sure it was one of these with the big fin" and fair play to the lads it seemed they had caught them previously and did not know the identification of the fish, so they went and bought a book (probably with drug money :D:D ).

Anyway I ramble on, my point is I would prefer to see these kids fishing (even if illegally) than drinking and other intoxicating hobbies on the streets.

If you guys dont agree with me I walk the brook every night and will be happy to dispense justice to any young offender :ph34r::boxing::bangin::rtfm::nono:

John

I saw some of the local drunks/special brews fishing in town the other day where people feed the ducks. T hey were casting right into the middle of the ducks with bread and seemed to be catching quite a few chub. They wernt using landing nets, it was out of season and probably a risk for the swans there which dive down for food? :huh: Good idea to report this?

Guest tigger

So it seems if you are a scum bag it's ok to fish rivers during the closed season then ?

I suppose it's ok for people to fish without a rod lisense nor pay for a ticket also......... just in case they might be vandals etc

I wouldn't have reported them either as that's not my style but it seems some people do have double standards, eh ? :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger

So it seems if you are a scum bag it's ok to fish rivers during the closed season then ?

I suppose it's ok for people to fish without a rod lisense nor pay for a ticket also......... just in case they might be vandals etc

I wouldn't have reported them either as that's not my style but it seems some people do have double standards, eh ? :rolleyes:

Now you havent understood what I have said. These kids are fishing a 2 mile stretch of tributery brook that isnt touched by any club match's or huge days of crowded fishing. this is a 2 - 3ft deep 8ft wide brook that realistically would go un-noticed if the farmer didnt cut the vegitation back twice a year. If they were fishing on the Severn taking up places of paying anglers then I agree throw the book at them but on this little brook the are hurting no one

John

Edited by jonnychaos

John would you disclose the name of the brook, as i live not too far from you and love catching chub. I understand if you want to keep it a secret though.

I think these comments show the state of the closed season, i bet every worthy river in the country is being illegally fished as we speak while we are all holding on for june 16th.

The only advantage of the closed season for me is that i like the anticipation and exciting feeling that i get when there is only a few weeks to go.

John would you disclose the name of the brook, as i live not too far from you and love catching chub. I understand if you want to keep it a secret though.

I think these comments show the state of the closed season, i bet every worthy river in the country is being illegally fished as we speak while we are all holding on for june 16th.

The only advantage of the closed season for me is that i like the anticipation and exciting feeling that i get when there is only a few weeks to go.

:secret::g: Never will you make me talk, this is even more secret than that secret lake in that secret dvd called the secret lake that you can only by in a secret shop in a little secret village just west of that secret road.

psssst read your pm

John

There are many things I miss from home (England)... Mum & Dad being the foremost... but I don't miss the Closed season... used to get 'Cabin fever' really bad. Start talking to meself in the shower and throwing stuff at the Mother in law...

In the US you can fish for freshwater species all year long... no more talking to meself... but I still throw the occasional object at you know who...

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

It works the other way too,last sunday while me and my mate fished a small mill pond a chap turned up loaded with tackle he looked like a proffesional angler,and when he plonked himself down in the next swim me and my mate looked at each other quite worried,we had visions of him catching every fish in the pond ,that is till he took his boots off and put his waders on,it became obvious as we watched him that he didn't have clue what he was doing,he never caught a thing and it was probably just as well,if he had caught something and he was on his own, god only knows what condition the fish would have been in when he put it back :nonono: