Gwithian bay Cornwall

peter mccue

Very shortly I shall be enjoying a fortnights holiday in Cornwall, can any of you chaps help me out with some info on the rock & beach fishing in the area of Gwithian, just outside of St Ives.

Haven't caught many Bass, so would like a go at them, & of course would love to know of a nice rock mark nearby if there is one Mackerel & Pollack on a Carp rod...great!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Peeler crab is good although expensive, you can collect the from Rock in north cornwall, look under the weed, it will take a few hours but i have always managed to get enough from there.

Ive had some good bass on very light gear from Rock to.

Also port gavern is worth a go, fish in a stif notherly is best as the surf is running straight in the bay, you can walk down the left hand side aqnd there is a whole in the rocks, you can walk through the whole and fish in comfort across the surf, at 2 hour before and two hour after high tide.

Live sand eels are the dogs nads if you can get them.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

port gavern is just to the right of port isac

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi Peter, Gwithian tends to get very crowded with local surfers and holidaymakers at this time of the year. You could try just outside of the Hayle estuary for schoolies, try either lug or rag on a size 1/0 running ledger. You can also get better sport by using lures and either spinning from the beach, or any of the rocky headlands in the area. However you should note that this is a bass nursery area, so CPR only...

St Ives itself offers a variety of species from the many accessible rock marks, as long as you can find somewhere to park :(:(

Mackeral can be caught just about everywhere, you could try float fishing a small strip of Mackeral, its a bit more sporting than the old feathers :)

A couple of notes of caution, please be careful if you are exploring rock marks, we get a lot of rogue swells at this time of the year. Also if you are bringing little ones please be mindful of the fact that we had a recent tradgedy where a 3 year old girl was buried in a hole that had been dug in the sand. She tunneled into the side of the hole and the tunnel collapsed onto her. RIP

If you want any further info please feel free to pm or mail me. Above all enjoy the fishing :D:D:D