Cheap Bait boat advice

carpin mad

I am only 13 but love fishing. I have spent ages looking for a reasonabley priced bait boat and have found none. I go fishing when ever possible whether it is a free lake or in a fishery. I think a bait boat is a great investiment for fishing but on only £6 pounds a week pocket money i just cant afford a £400 bait boat. I was thinking about buying a normal electric boat and modifying it but i have no clue how to, please can you help suggest how i can turn £6 a week into a descent bait boat.

Cheers Andrew

Hi Andrew,

If you search this forum, there is a thread about a modified 'normal' RC boat / amphibious vehicle being used as a bait boat. Alternatively, you can look at the link below. Not every bait boat is £400. Some can go for considerably less:

http://www.baitboatsale.co.uk/

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I modified THIS amphibious tank that I bought from a really good ebay seller over a month ago. I have used it a few times now for dumping some hemp and pellets above my hook bait and also for dropping my hair rig exactly where I wanted it. If I had tried casting it to that exact spot I'm sure I would have snapped my rod in pure frustration!

It cost me £31.98 including delivery. I used heavy duty velcro strips to secure a plastic tub on top of one side of the wheels so that when you press aand hold a button on the remote to unfold the wheels it tips the tub and dumps your bait exactly where you want it.

I keep meaning to take a video of it in action but I cant control the boat and keep a handheld mobile phone steady at the same time. Trust me though, with a bit of DIY engineering this boat is fantastic! It has a really nice build quality and good fun to play with as well :rolleyes:

Bear in mind it does not have a great range and I wouldnt trust it to go further than 50 yards. Also the charge will not hold as long as a £400 boat but there is a way to extend the life.

Get an old butt end of a rod and old (or cheap) reel and put some heavy duty line on it. 10lb minimum and braid is well recommended. Tie the line to the FRONT of the boat or if you can use some sort of quick release clip so you can easily remove the line if you want, I butchered a key ring to acheive this. DONT tie the line to the back of the boat because when you reel it back it sinks!

Drive your boat out to where you want it and allow line through the old reel by releasing the bail arm, drop your bait and then reel it back in. It saves battery life and gives you security just in case it sinks or a pike grabs it :D

It also has a BB pellet gun on it for fun. The pellets are quite deadly when fired as well!

I modified THIS amphibious tank that I bought from a really good ebay seller over a month ago. I have used it a few times now for dumping some hemp and pellets above my hook bait and also for dropping my hair rig exactly where I wanted it. If I had tried casting it to that exact spot I'm sure I would have snapped my rod in pure frustration!

It cost me £31.98 including delivery. I used heavy duty velcro strips to secure a plastic tub on top of one side of the wheels so that when you press aand hold a button on the remote to unfold the wheels it tips the tub and dumps your bait exactly where you want it.

I keep meaning to take a video of it in action but I cant control the boat and keep a handheld mobile phone steady at the same time. Trust me though, with a bit of DIY engineering this boat is fantastic! It has a really nice build quality and good fun to play with as well :rolleyes:

Bear in mind it does not have a great range and I wouldnt trust it to go further than 50 yards. Also the charge will not hold as long as a £400 boat but there is a way to extend the life.

Get an old butt end of a rod and old (or cheap) reel and put some heavy duty line on it. 10lb minimum and braid is well recommended. Tie the line to the FRONT of the boat or if you can use some sort of quick release clip so you can easily remove the line if you want, I butchered a key ring to acheive this. DONT tie the line to the back of the boat because when you reel it back it sinks!

Drive your boat out to where you want it and allow line through the old reel by releasing the bail arm, drop your bait and then reel it back in. It saves battery life and gives you security just in case it sinks or a pike grabs it :D

It also has a BB pellet gun on it for fun. The pellets are quite deadly when fired as well!

Cheers guys i might give the tank idea a go. If i remember ill add it on here about how it goes. does anyone know the name of that magazine in which they are currently supplying the parts for a bait boat?

I am only 13 but love fishing. I have spent ages looking for a reasonabley priced bait boat and have found none. I go fishing when ever possible whether it is a free lake or in a fishery. I think a bait boat is a great investiment for fishing but on only £6 pounds a week pocket money i just cant afford a £400 bait boat. I was thinking about buying a normal electric boat and modifying it but i have no clue how to, please can you help suggest how i can turn £6 a week into a descent bait boat.

Cheers Andrew

Don't take this the wrong way, but why do you think you need one? I'd cast for free and spend £6 a week on access to a decent club/water and some good bait!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Don't take this the wrong way, but why do you think you need one? I'd cast for free and spend £6 a week on access to a decent club/water and some good bait!

i hear what your saying but there are some good uses for one, for me the biggest advantage would come with night fishing in regards to having night lights on board.

i totally think that most bait boats are overpriced and have thought for a long while that it would be a great idea to invest a few hundred quid into building a reliable and non gimmicky bait boat that i could produce at home to sell online perhaps for a reasonable price.....hmmm, a good winter project idea i think :D

Cheers Andrew

hi andrew there is a mention of this home made bait boat on anglers net home page..i couldnt find the paticular vehicle used here in the uk but i have found the tank version here and i have ordered one.. at the very least i can send it over to my son and blast him when he is nodding off ;D

banner.gif

I've not used one, but I've seen the cheap Jabo ones go for about £80:

http://www.baitboatsale.co.uk/search/jabo

Best advice on the subject, IMO not substitute for good angling