Spool jargon busting

SPSwallow

I have recently aquired a Shimano 35oom sgt reel. It has 3 spools and I am trying to find out what the jargon means on the side so I know what the maximum strenth line it can be loaded with ( I want to know if it is strong enough for pike). It says on the side MS - 3.5. Underneath that it says - line cap. (DIA.mm.M), underneath that it says - 0.14 - 170 0.18 - 100.

Am I right in guessing that it is informing you of the minimum and maximum line width? I haven't a clue what the letters mean though. Thanks

Edited by SPSwallow

I have recently aquired a Shimano 35oom sgt reel. It has 3 spools and I am trying to find out what the jargon means on the side so I know what the maximum strenth line it can be loaded with ( I want to know if it is strong enough for pike). It says on the side MS - 3.5. Underneath that it says - line cap. (DIA.mm.M), underneath that it says - 0.14 - 170 0.18 - 100.

Am I right in guessing that it is informing you of the minimum and maximum line width? I haven't a clue what the letters mean though. Thanks

It's easy once you know.

They are saying the reel will hold 170 metres of 0.14 millimetre diameter line, or 100 metres of 0.17 millimetre line. Using Daiwa Sensor as an example (which is typically a bit thick for it's breaking strain) 4lb line is 0.20 millimetre, so I think the spool example you gave is for a shallow match spool? General wisdom I've read states from 150-200 yards of 15lb line for pike, so that's 140-180 metres of (again, using Daiwa Sensor as an example) 0.37 millimetre line. Line diameter is usually in millimetre (mm) stated on the spool along with breaking strain.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Angly

Geoff

It's easy once you know.

They are saying the reel will hold 170 metres of 0.14 millimetre diameter line, or 100 metres of 0.17 millimetre line. Using Daiwa Sensor as an example (which is typically a bit thick for it's breaking strain) 4lb line is 0.20 millimetre, so I think the spool example you gave is for a shallow match spool? General wisdom I've read states from 150-200 yards of 15lb line for pike, so that's 140-180 metres of (again, using Daiwa Sensor as an example) 0.37 millimetre line. Line diameter is usually in millimetre (mm) stated on the spool along with breaking strain.

Hope that helps.

Great help cheers. All three spools seem to have the same specs. No good for pike then

Edited by SPSwallow

It sounds like a match reel mate. It doesn't matter what line you use, the reel probably isn't upto it. You'd have to overuse the drag, which would lead to prolonged fights and that would in turn lead to exhausted pike. Even if you did bully the fish home, the reel wouldn't last long. The bearings and drag-washers would wear out very quickly and all you'd succeed in doing is wrecking a very nice reel that would be better suited for lighter applications. In fact, I'd think a large pike would see it exploding in your hands. Keep it for perch fishing or a bit of light spinning or something.

Besides, 15lb braid is far too light for pike fishing. It would land fish certainly but it wouldn't last very long. Braid isn't very abrasion resistant, it also has to cut through weed it requires stopping power. When you consider that I use 17lb mono or 50lb braid for pike fishing, 15 lb braid is for tiddler fishing.

Seriously, forget using it for pike.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

It sounds like a match reel mate. It doesn't matter what line you use, the reel probably isn't upto it. You'd have to overuse the drag, which would lead to prolonged fights and that would in turn lead to exhausted pike. Even if you did bully the fish home, the reel wouldn't last long. The bearings and drag-washers would wear out very quickly and all you'd succeed in doing is wrecking a very nice reel that would be better suited for lighter applications. In fact, I'd think a large pike would see it exploding in your hands. Keep it for perch fishing or a bit of light spinning or something.

Besides, 15lb braid is far too light for pike fishing. It would land fish certainly but it wouldn't last very long. Braid isn't very abrasion resistant, it also has to cut through weed it requires stopping power. When you consider that I use 17lb mono or 50lb braid for pike fishing, 15 lb braid is for tiddler fishing.

Seriously, forget using it for pike.

Ok, thanks for the advise. Reels are cheap so I won't risk it. I've been looking at a pike reel by shakespear for £18 on the lathams website seems ok, i'll go buy that I think. What is it that makes certain reels good for a type of fishing? Maybe this is a topic of its own but i'd really benefit from knowing how reels work exactly. I'm guessing a reel for pike has somesort of gear ratio like a bike that turns small winds of the reel into powerful efforts on the fish. I'm actually finding the physics of reels quite interesting and exciting

SPS one good bit of advice I can offer is to forget about breaking strains when using/buying braid.Best way is to select them by diameter.Basicly the accepted "standard" BS mono for piking is 15lb this has a diameter of around 0.35mm choose a braid of a similar ie 0.32 -0.35 diameter and you wont go wrong. Dont worry if the BS is really high. I will post a link to something I wrote quickly that may give you a bit more understanding of braid.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Don't forget also, that the larger the diameter of the spool, the more line is retrieved per revolution of the bail arm. Normally (but not always) the larger diameter spools hold more line too. I say not always because Shimano’s P3 4000 size spool is actually slightly larger diameter than a 5000 Baitrunner yet holds less line (because the Baitrunner spool is longer, and the core of the spool is smaller).

I’d hope that with a major brand name reel, if the manufacturer lists the spool as being suitable for 15lb then the spool is up to the job of pike fishing. Indeed, in the UK at least, the law almost certainly says it would have to be.

Geoff

Don't forget also, that the larger the diameter of the spool, the more line is retrieved per revolution of the bail arm. Normally (but not always) the larger diameter spools hold more line too. I say not always because Shimano’s P3 4000 size spool is actually slightly larger diameter than a 5000 Baitrunner yet holds less line (because the Baitrunner spool is longer, and the core of the spool is smaller).

I’d hope that with a major brand name reel, if the manufacturer lists the spool as being suitable for 15lb then the spool is up to the job of pike fishing. Indeed, in the UK at least, the law almost certainly says it would have to be.

Ta fellas, here's the reel i've been looking at - Reel . It holds 230m of 15lb.Might get a more expensive one though depending what I can afford, I like to spend more if it ensures comfort and quality as well as lasting a while.