Lifejackets! Check this out URGENT and WORRYING!

Colin Brett

I check the Irish Independent out for the Irish News most days and found the following frightening story and implications

I'm surprised the info on here hasn't sent shudders around the millions that use life jackets, that's if they know about it?

I'm also surprised this hasn't been broadcast on the major news channels??

I've checked mine as best I can but have fired off an email to Crewsaver just in case they use Halkey Roberts firiung mechanisms.

Colin

Collin

I used to work with lifejackets a long time ago and can't quite get my head around why the inflateable bladder filled with water. It would more inlikey be a partial inflation. The gas staying around the inflation port at the bottom of the bladder and this upended the poor chap.

I can only think that co2 escape from the oral inflation tube. Our lifejackets had the same check valve fitted as what was fitted too this poor souls lifejacket. You have to blow into the tube and overcome the spring pressure to unseat the valve. Now in the past the check valves if immersed regulary and rough handled (as we used to) would stick at 45 degs allowing co2 to leak. We had to check the valves at each servicing and I think this is the point that everyone should take from this loss. If your life depends on it then check it!

Lifejackets are simple machines (if that's the best way to put it), but they are often over looked. Check every port is tight and every valve is seated. Check the bladder and the stole for damage. The stole by the way, is the fabric cover which pulls open on inflation. If you have any doubts about anything then don't use it and take it to get it serviced.

I hope that this helps.

Tight lines and stay safe.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Collin

I used to work with lifejackets a long time ago and can't quite get my head around why the inflateable bladder filled with water. It would more inlikey be a partial inflation. The gas staying around the inflation port at the bottom of the bladder and this upended the poor chap.

I can only think that co2 escape from the oral inflation tube. Our lifejackets had the same check valve fitted as what was fitted too this poor souls lifejacket. You have to blow into the tube and overcome the spring pressure to unseat the valve. Now in the past the check valves if immersed regulary and rough handled (as we used to) would stick at 45 degs allowing co2 to leak. We had to check the valves at each servicing and I think this is the point that everyone should take from this loss. If your life depends on it then check it!

Lifejackets are simple machines (if that's the best way to put it), but they are often over looked. Check every port is tight and every valve is seated. Check the bladder and the stole for damage. The stole by the way, is the fabric cover which pulls open on inflation. If you have any doubts about anything then don't use it and take it to get it serviced.

I hope that this helps.

Tight lines and stay safe.

squibs

Point being that the one in question was virtually new. I feel safer in me floatation suit, although it is not classed as a life saver.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Point taken Barry, however you should always check your life saving equipment before use and at regular intervals.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

Point taken Barry, however you should always check your life saving equipment before use and at regular intervals.

squibs

Thanks Squibs,

Don't suppose that poor guy would have known if it was working properly or not, it's a very sad case to say the least.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..