Choosing a Floatation Suit

Mike Dodds

I'm off to the grand opening of the new Glasgow Angling Centre shop on Saturday hoping to get a good deal on a floatation suit.

They have suits by Shakespeare, Fladen and Sunridge. Price doesn't give much to go on so I thought I'd ask:

Which make do you prefer (I'm about 15.5 stone, so I'm thinking the extra bouyancy of the Fladen suits might be good).

One piece or two piece?

Ta,

Mike

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Mike,

I own a fladen flotation suit(One of the bright yellow ones) Its superb, Ive stayed dry when loads of water from waves have crashed over harbrour walls ontop of me, It keeps you very warm also, And i think boyancy wise it cannot be beaten, Definatly a worthy purchase, (tho as kenny will tell you from that mach on the weekend, Mine smells worse than rotten fish) Tho a quick wipe down after trips is soposed to be the way outa this, I think they 80 quid also which aint to bad,

hopefully see you at the seahoused boat trip...

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

I have a Fladen 2 piece (yellow/black) - and so far cant falt it at all.

Keeps me nice, warm and dry in wet and windy conditions out at sea (and this year we have ventured out in some pretty extreme conditions)- and has plenty of pockets for bits and bobs.

I find more and more people looking to go for 2 piece now as its pretty handy been able to take the jacket of in nice warm conditions to cool down.

I used to have a Mullion one piece 5-6 years back - worked ok for a year, then after that it was leaking so much I would be soaken after a day at sea. I think they have improved a lot though from what I hear/see.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Guest gus angus

I would go for a two piece suit, check to see what the flotaion capabilites of the trousers alone are, I say this because if it gets warm you can always take the top off and if the trousers are good you will still maintain a certain amount of protection if you fall in.

I find for boat fishing the two peice is a boon for just that reason. we often sail early when its cold and by mid morning it's warm and being ble to take the top off is great

saint_1877:

Just a word of warning Mike. GAC usually have very high prices so maybe it would be an idea to have a look online at some other shops so you know what the going rate is first rather than being ripped off!

Thanks for that. I'd heard that the shop prices were often different to their web-site prices. I need to have the suit by the end of next week, so I might have to take the hit anyway. And I'll need to try them on.

I'll take prints from a few web sites and haggle

I had a calalogue from Glasgow Angling Centre a day of so ago.

The new Sundridge SAS flotation suit is cheaper than the old one was, and a different colour.

I use mine on the beach and it is certainly an advantage to not have the jacket on whilst walking far.

It's the jacket that appears to have all the flotation material in it. That's why it is so warm. You don't want to fall in and have your legs with all the bouyancy, do you!

They are not 'survival' suits, remember, just something to keep you afloat.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net