Waterproofs

Scopex

One point I think you are missing here is the thermal properties of a pucker floatation suit.

If you are in the unfortunate situation to be dipped in the North Sea with a breathable windproof garment, designed primarily to fight the land based weather elements, then you will suffer. Floatation suits are not only designed to keep you afloat but also to keep you warm if you end up in the drink.

The last thing you want is water circulation around your body, let some in , trap it and let it heat up with your body temp. Flotation suits that fit correctly will achieve this and keep you warm enough for an hour or so. The new thin lightweight breathable gear is great for standing on the shore but not so hot if you end up in the old briney.

Wet suits work on this very principle, you need a little water ingress and then the garment material forms a thermal barrier between the open sea and the inner water layer.

Get you self a good floaty Jacket and wear it at sea when the sea temp is low, in the summer months you can wear the nike shorts......

Neil.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to agree with Neil here, Lochaline certainly aint the North sea but the principle is the same, in the water not getting wet and floating.

Maybe I should ask Fladden for a promotional fee, for thats the one for me, the 2 piece that is :D

[ 24. September 2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Orca ]

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I use a 2 piece floatation piece suit, think it's called a Sundridge SAS or something like that ... the floatation part in the jacket is removable, for when your just going to use it as a normal fishing jacket, it becomes very light and comfortable to wear. When using it on the boat, I make sure that the flotation lining is refitted .... it’s a nice compromise!

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't a 2 piece suit let lots of water in. I assume you would float ok but get cold rapidly? Any recommendations for a shore/pier Winter angler buying their first floatation suit? Do the Fladden suits have hand warmer pockets? I've seen IMAQ (I think),FLADDEN,SUNDRIDGE,MUSTAD & SHAKESPEARE suits. I'm looking for function before price.

Cheers

Neil:

One point I think you are missing here is the thermal properties of a pucker floatation suit.

If you are in the unfortunate situation to be dipped in the North Sea with a breathable windproof garment, designed primarily to fight the land based weather elements, then you will suffer. Floatation suits are not only designed to keep you afloat but also to keep you warm if you end up in the drink.

The last thing you want is water circulation around your body, let some in , trap it and let it heat up with your body temp. Flotation suits that fit correctly will achieve this and keep you warm enough for an hour or so. The new thin lightweight breathable gear is great for standing on the shore but not so hot if you end up in the old briney.

Wet suits work on this very principle, you need a little water ingress and then the garment material forms a thermal barrier between the open sea and the inner water layer.

Get you self a good floaty Jacket and wear it at sea when the sea temp is low, in the summer months you can wear the nike shorts......

Neil.

The Fladen suits are -very- highly regarded amongst most commercial and leisure anglers. The Svensen Imax suit I think is the other one you are referring to, which is not a bad suit, but we have sold to new and previous users of floaties, and like I said most are very impressed (it's not a budget suit, it's just a good price).

The Fladen 845 (one piece) has 2 fleece lined pockets, whereas the 846/47 has four (two in the trousers, two in the jacket). Both the one-piece and two-piece have a multitude (seven I think) of additional, un-lined pockets.

Most 2 pc floaters are not immersion ISO15027-1 tested because under the rules (I think) it would HAVE to be available solely as a 2pc suit. If you can buy the jacket separate from the trousers (and therefore adjust the sizes of each) I believe that infringes part of the test/regulations or something. Needless to say the Fladen (and most other suits) will give you immersion protection and they are not designed to be watertight (as Neil says, reduce the 'circulation of water' around the body).

[ 26. September 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk ]

Ian W

I suppose it would depend on the length of time of immersion as to whether they would keep you dry

[ 26. September 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Orca ]

I have the dearer Fladen 2 piece in xlarge,it's not cheep but if it saves me then I don't care.

When I got it it said that both the bib and brace and the jacket would keep you floating.

I use mine in all weather (well if it's nice I will take of the jacket).

It kept me dry in a force 8 that was like standing in a jet wash so I would say get one of them :D

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Hi Islander

As Ian W also stated, none of the suits will keep you dry if you are in the water but the better ones will keep you warm, I had an Imax which did not fit very well, my own fault, got the wrong size. I just flogged it on ebay last week, got £40 for it. IMHO that's what it was worth. Once the cold water gets into your suit,next to your body you need to retain it there and let it warm up a bit with your body heat. The insulation in the suit will then maintain that water temperature for a short time. Problems arise when cold water keeps flushing through your suit,or the suit has poor insulating qualities, this has the reverse effect and will cool you down even quicker.

What ever you go for,one or two piece suit, get one that fits correctly.

Neil

Neil thats where you're wrong, the fladden 2 piece will keep you dry for a wee while whilst in the water, I'm not saying they will keep you dry for more than 10 mins but the fladden did when I went in, as to warm thats definate

[ 26. September 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Orca ]

Orca, if the suit is a perfect fit that will be the case (and if your leg straps actually tighten up reasonably well). Still, the only way to stay properly dry is to wear a 6 hour class A suit, which is the best part of 500 notes and extremely bulky (Cosalt make one I think).

If immersion was a consideration I'd always go for a one piece. If pure floatation was required and comfortability I'd go for the two piece. Our 1pc outsell the 2pc by about four to one, but then we sell the 1pc to all sorts of trades (outside the fishing industry) for their thermal properties as much as anything (we have had a few motoway workers buy them this year, microlighters, even hovercraft racers last week!).

Ian W