Gpsmap or Chartplotter?

Shonzy.

Got the same thread running on the NESA site. Have a look, they come down on the Garmin 182c, which one whole heartedly endorses. In ten years, I have had Lowrance GM2000b&W, Garmin 2006b&w, and now the 182c. If I had a spare £1200 I would go for the 2006c, I ain't, so for half the price I get the same charts, slightly smaller screen and as much functionality as I want or need, accuracy is the same, often down to 3ft, the norm is 3-6ft. I can do a lot with 600 squid!

CJS2

CJS2

• 2 weeks later...

The Garmon 'GPSmap' devices ARE chartplotters. I have a GPSmap2006 and it is excellent. Salar, I can't believe you don't use a plotter!! Then again, most of your fishing is done at anchor if your reports are anything to go by so I guess you don't need a plotter as much as I do.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Toerag:

Salar, I can't believe you don't use a plotter!! Then again, most of your fishing is done at anchor if your reports are anything to go by so I guess you don't need a plotter as much as I do.

I'd have a plotter if I could afford one! I just try and convince myself they are a luxury in the meantime. Truth is, my GPS has a good zoom and track function so I can mark a good spot and drift over it no problem.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

SHONZY,

how often are you going to change your boat?

If you are going to keep her then I would recommend spending the extra on the Raymarine C series - just fantastic. You don't need their new Platinum charts - but their Gols is unimaginable quality as is the kit - all fully waterproof to IPX7 = 1m submersion for 30 minutes. Their screens are brighter and don't get condensation like some. BRITSH TOO. Built just outside Portsmouth. The after sales service is like nothing you have come across - just fantastic. Before making your mind up, at least go and see what you are missing - not all chartplotters or fish finder sounders are the same - there is a very good reason some are cheap - and it is because they usually end up more expensive.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Salar:

Truth is, my GPS has a good zoom and track function so I can mark a good spot and drift over it no problem.

So it's a plotter without a chart then? I stand corrected, you'll be OK for quite a while yet then.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com