Abu 7000

Scotty T

Hi all, just joined the forum and wanted to ask a question. I'm the proud owner of an Abu 7000 which I normally use of marks around the dorset coast, am going on a wreck conger trip next week from Poole and was wondering if I loaded my reel with 40lb mono would it be up to the job??? Whadya think..... :confused:

[ 27. August 2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Scotty T ]

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Why not? Someone had a big conger on a 6600LD in this months boatfishing mag, so you shouldn't have any problems with your 7000 as long as the drag's in good order and all the screws are done up tight! You may have a problem with capacity, as you could possibly end up in the hurd deep which is 400ft+ deep. With that much 40lb mono out it would take you forever to reel in. Braid will be a much better option anyhow, allowing you to use less lead (it's spring tides)and giving a better retrieve as the line level will hardly drop.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I agree with toerag. I have a 7000 and have just loaded it with 30lb braid. Two things to consider, is your rod action soft enought to absorb the shock of a direct pull from a Conger?

Secondly is it fair on the other anglers, it is going to take you some time to get a big Conger in and as you are on big tides this could mean a longer steam back up to the wreck! Wasted fishing time and fuel.

let us know how the trip goes, the weather looks ok.

Alan

[ 30. August 2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Thanks for the response fellas, going out next Sunday, neap tides so evertything looks good!!! will use my 7000 just to see how she responds to the conditions, will let you know how we do. tight lines all.

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Scotty T:

Thanks for the response fellas, going out next Sunday, neap tides so evertything looks good!!!

Woops, sorry Scotty thought it was springs.

Hope the weather is kind to you and some pics would be appreciated by myself and I am sure others.

Tight lines.

Alan :)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/