The Cost of Angling

sam-cox

Beach fishing - if I'm keeping local which is usually the case:

Travel: Walk or say, £3.00 petrol depending exactly where.

Bait: Mackeral frozen - £5.00 or nothing when I can feather them off sea wall in season.

If taking ragworm about £5.00

Packet of new hooks £1.50

Bargain at £14.50

DON'T PANIC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

between us we have already spent 560.55 quid.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Have not really thought about the cost of my fishing but when I do it gets frightening. I am a small boat fisherman so excluding the cost of the boat, trailer and electronics depreciation + replacement costs and maintenance here goes.

I average say 20 trips per year if I’m lucky so breaks it down to per trip =

Annual launching fee divided by 20 = £17.50

Fuel to tow boat to mark say average = £7.50

Insurance for boat per year divided by 20 = £12.50

2 sets of rods and reels renewed say every 2 years = £7.50

Terminal tackle and the other little bits =

£4.00

Fuel for boat average spend £50.00

Bait = £10.00 low because of mackerel in summer months

Oil for fuel = £ 1.00

Food and dink = £5.00

£1 first fish bet I always loose :) just joking

Total cost exclusive of boat and equipment purchase and depreciation £110.50 per trip

Guys don’t let the misses see this thread we will definitely be bared from ever going fishing again

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

Hmmm. This week coming...have banked on spending at least a Grand.....but, have never complained about it.... :D:rolleyes::D Its only money !!!!!!

AND.... I own a boat too.....geez, why complain...if things are that bad..leave it to the commercials.... :(

and my Mrs knows exactly what my boat costs every year...so dont think that argument is true.... :rolleyes:

[ 23. September 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

How many of us just dont add the cost up. I have posted the pictures of KT here recently so you know she is a 35ft Cygnus, Lister diesel power

Fuel to travel the 10 miles each way to the marina £3

Diesel to run the boat for 3 hours £10 (at present prices) It will double in September 2006!

Unwashed squid for three anglers £7.00

Couple of frozen macies' £3

one days moring fees ie x 365! £7.65

one days boat insurance £1.00

I recon £31.65p is not bad for a days fishing next Sunday x 3 anglers. Of course if capitol cost, maintenance, depreciation etc., were taken into accout, then we would neaver cross the road!

No, my boat fishing, despite it being an indulgence, dont cost me much, over all. Almost TT, non smoker, boring old f**t, but I can go afloat whenever, and with whom I like. :D

CJS2

For my local marks I'm fairly lucky - 25 mile round trip will cover 'em and the GV does 50MPG if you keep the revs down! Mackerel's the top bait here from now on and I'll take a pack of frozen black but refreeze most of it again as often as not, so it all works out at less than a tenner, or about half as much as the same amount of time in the pub would!

Cheers - John

Are you planning to buy a round this time Norrie :D

I really hope my misses doesnt see that post or I am in deep ~~~~~

Orca will certainly need to put Davys pocket money up a bit !!!!

Just back in from the pub will try to talk sense

Ps what are the arrangements for Sunday

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

journey to and from boat Free. (company van)

Diesel for boat free. (mate gives me all I want)

Bait 10-15 quid usually

Food nothing really would eat at home anyway.

Might lose a couple of quids worth of tackle now and again.

On the other hand 7 days in Alderney with boat and rented house. Me the wife and mates worked out at £550 each last trip.

sam-cox:

between us we have already spent 560.55 quid.

Remind a few of us (Me, Paul, Davy, Norrie, Peter, Chappers, Noah etc) in a weeks time and we'll soon whack that average up :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I don't reckon you can count things like food and fuel to and from venue. You would eat at home or wherever you was anyway. If you wasn't out fishing you would be probably driving the wife round the shops or out somewhere else.

As for those of us with boats. Mooring fees, insurance, radio licence, conservancy licence etc are yearly things and the boat probably gets used for things other than fishing. (like taking the grandchildren for a cruise).

I am surprised no one has calculated the depreciation on their car into these figures.

Anyway. Having fun is important. You set how much you want to spend on your fishing by your priorities. We for example don't have a telly or sky or TV licence. We would sooner put the fun tokens (money) to our fishing. So I say lets not worry about the cost so much as how much fun/entertainment you get from fishing.

Fishing 10 fun tokens

football match 0 fun tokens

Day at Blackpool pleasure beach 4 fun tokens

the lady at number 4............. EWrrm just answering a post on the forum dear.........

Posted Image