Mackeral months

Bob on Stronsay

I think we set a record yesterday. According to local folklore Mackeral turn up in Orkney waters just about County Show day (Normally late July/early August) and disapear when the gales start.

So far this year we have caught them from May through to November. and apart from yesterday in very large numbers.

Had a break in the weather yesterday and managed a couple of hours out on me mates 16 footer. We were looking for cod and Pollock or anything else so not using feathers but jellies and Mackeral flappers.

We had several cod to 7lb and a couple of 6lb Pollock and to our surprise a Mackeral.

I like this global warming. If it carries on we might start seeing Bass up here soon.

Bob

A mate of mine had a freezerfull of mackarel on the weekend in one of the western sea lochs... Maybe this year it will be a case of all year overwintered makkies??? I wonder who will catch the 1st of 2005, I would not be surprised if it was in january...So much for not having enough bait for winter ehhh...

Tight Lines

Shaun

What's that old say, "Use a sprat to catch a Mackeral".

Last year in about October (Just after I had put my boat away for the year) I was on the ferry to the main Orkney island and I saw a shoal of small fish being attacked by Mackeral. The water was shimmering with the small fish and you could see the Mackeral hit them from the side and the shoal split and many lept into the air.

Don't know what they were but assumned they were Herring fry (An uncommon sight up here as Stronsay was one of the largest Herring ports and they were good at their job).

The Mackeral must be eating something??? Otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Bob

i think you could also say that the mackerel are searching for food which is overwhelming their instinct to move down south to spawn.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

I think I am right in saying the Mackerel we get up here are Norwegian ones, so they would normally head East and North of us, to get to the deeper waters of the Northern North sea.

Yes could be fun with lots of exotic species turning up. As long as not to many of the normal species don't head further North.

A few of us are looking into buying a larger boat between us. If we do we could start charter holidays for you all that would save you all going to Norway, although its probably easier to get there from south as it is here.

Bob