Testing Kayaks

greencat

Hi guys,

New here and hoping someone can share their shopping experience...

I'm searching for the right kayak for me for a bit of sea fishing and slow day-touring. I've currently, from the comfort of my armchair, short listed the options to the Malibu X-Factor and the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 based on my needs and the numerous customer reviews.

But now I want to try before I buy and I'm finding accommodating retailers difficult to find. Berkshire Canoes (very helpful) are trying to get an X-Factor in for me to try but don't have a demo boat with a rudder. As for the Prowler I've drawn a bit of a blank...retailers seem happy to order them for you but no one seems to have actual stock let alone a test boat (and especially a test boat with a rudder!).

I don't mind travelling to try out the Ocean Kayak but can anyone suggest a retailer to try?

This is almost as hard as finding somewhere actually running the Marine VHF Short Range Certificate course...but that's another post...

Cheers,

Michael

Located in Thatcham, Berkshire

Hi Greencat

Welcome to Anglers Net The Mad House :D

By the sounds of things youve done your homework with both Kayaks and know what your looking for

and what suits your personal needs.

I havnt actualy paddled either of the two.

Its a shame your having trouble finding a trial option, it appears to be that way around most of the U.K.

Im sure somone will be able to help on the forums.

I know a lot of the welsh guys use the X Factor they may be able to help you out, heres the link

http://zebrakayak.proboards81.com/index.cgi?board=general

They are a friendly bunch of guys, and enjoy helping people.

Bill. :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi guys,

New here and hoping someone can share their shopping experience...

I'm searching for the right kayak for me for a bit of sea fishing and slow day-touring. I've currently, from the comfort of my armchair, short listed the options to the Malibu X-Factor and the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15 based on my needs and the numerous customer reviews.

But now I want to try before I buy and I'm finding accommodating retailers difficult to find. Berkshire Canoes (very helpful) are trying to get an X-Factor in for me to try but don't have a demo boat with a rudder. As for the Prowler I've drawn a bit of a blank...retailers seem happy to order them for you but no one seems to have actual stock let alone a test boat (and especially a test boat with a rudder!).

I don't mind travelling to try out the Ocean Kayak but can anyone suggest a retailer to try?

This is almost as hard as finding somewhere actually running the Marine VHF Short Range Certificate course...but that's another post...

Cheers,

Michael

Located in Thatcham, Berkshire

Hi Michael

Wish I had done as much research as you, came into a bit of cash and I got my self a tarpon 100 only to find it's far too small for fishing from. Nice yak for messing about in but that's about all. Now I have to save a few shillings cos wot I want is a prowler!

Happy days

Brian.

In life, some times your the pigeon........... and some times your the statue!

I have a Trident 15 with Rudder and if you can get to Lowestoft you can try it - and fish from it. I'm surrounded by a choice of fresh or saltwater. Failing that there is a meet on in mid-december at a trout lake in Berkshire which I am attending. Wasn't going to take the Trident (was going to use the yak board ;D ) but could bring it along if you like. I do know that there are no Trident 15's with rudder in our demo 'fleet' though.

There's a very fine rigged Elite with UK 595c Humminbird on ebay at present - Steve is selling his and it's easily worth the £800 he's after.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

...there is a meet on in mid-december at a trout lake in Berkshire which I am attending. Wasn't going to take the Trident (was going to use the yak board ;D ) but could bring it along if you like.

Mark,

Very kind of you to offer. I will keep hunting for some other opportunity as I'd feel a bit guilty making you bring it all the way over to my kneck of the woods just for my benefit but if I draw a blank I may have to bribe you with beer.

Let me know when your trouting session is in December so I can contact you nearer the time (you may have to email me...not sure PM is working for me yet as I haven't posted enough).

By the way...thanks for your excellent review of the OK PT 15 on this news group. It was one of the best, most comprehensive Yak reviews I've read with some great pictures :)

not sure PM is working for me yet as I haven't posted enough

Full membership (which includes PM) happens after post #15.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Managed to get out on a Malibu X-Factor today for a test paddle.

Initial thoughts about the yak were:

- Fantastically stable (the only other yaks I've paddled were touring/sea kayaks and the X-Factor was solid as a rock). So stable I was able to get up and kneel and lean forward and open the front hatch. I'd likely think twice about this in choppy sea!

- The X-Factor tracks well but turned supprisingly easily (no rudder attached to the demo boat).

- There was some wind on the river but I didn't really notice much weathercocking, however, a side wind did cause the boat to drift to starboard.

- The yak is wide and may benefit from a slightly longer paddle than you might usually use. When I started paddling I noticed my hands kept catching on the carrying handles, a complaint that I'd seen elsewhere on the web. However, the handles are designed to flip inside the yak and thus completely out of the way.

- The large centre hatch is great and comes with a 'keeper' bag which fits inside (and can be removed to get access to the inside of the yak). The hatch is very wide and partially sits under your legs. This is slightly frustrating as the locking mechanism requires a fair bit of space to operate. On the positive side the yak is stable enough to draw your legs up and spread your knees a bit to simplify access...not sure I'd want to be trying to pull rods out of it on the water though as the hatch is right in front of you.

- There were a few anchor points around the rear of the yak but no paddle keeper (or anchor points to fit one) and no anchor points to fit thigh braces.

I was loaned a Carlisle Simply Magic paddle to use and was supprised how wet this made the cockpit. My only previous kayaking experience has been in sea/touring kayaks where waves were breaking over the side and I had a spray deck and was completely oblivious to 'paddle splash'so this gentle soaking was a bit of a supprise. I wonder if this is partially down to the scoop shape of the paddle?

Hi Greencat

By the sounds of things, the X Factor has caught your eye?

Wouldnt worry too much about the paddle splash, when you have the odd wave comeing over the rails :D

Nice pair of paddle pants will keep you warm dry and comfortable.

Are you going for the X Factor, or trying other Kayaks first?

Bill. :)

Are you going for the X Factor, or trying other Kayaks first?

Cheers Bill...yeah, been thinking of some dry trousers for the open canoe and I can see they'll be a godsend on a yak.

Definitely going to try out the OK Prowler Trident before making up my mind. The X-Factor is a great platform but if the Trident is reasonably stable I think its narrower beam will make it a little quicker paddle.