NASA says oceans are warming

MLD

and heat's not the only problem.

It's probably been discussed on here (I'm new!) but I watched a report on the news a little while back about data showing that the oceans have increased acidity by around 30% in the last 150 years, by absorbing greenhouse gasses from the surface. This is killing off unbelievable ammounts of microbial life and corals etc. and obviously creates a major dent in the food-chain.

Welome to AN tyneside tiddler; shouldn't that be a poddler?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Yup, i think we have turned a significant corner in the state of the oceans. There must be a reason for hardly any fish off the beaches these days. A lack of whitebait/sandeels, and other fry would be one good reason. Some Bass that have been caught I hear have been in very poor condition. I foolishly thought that warmer seas would mean an improvement in Bass angling, but with nothing for the Bass to come inshore for, probably not.

We also don't yet know how high sea temperatures will affect marine worms. Badly I think.

[ 27. July 2005, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: MLD ]

Good article Here on the disasterous effects of lack of the usual upwelling of cold water on the US West Coast this year. Very few krill being pushed toward the shore so all the species of fish and birds that depend on them are dying of starvation. Loss of smaller krill-eating fish will have a bad add-on effect on larger fish too.

Worrying since no one can pin down a cause for it. The El Niño years are known to supress the usual upwelling but this isn't an El Niño year.

[ 27. July 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just watched a dvd on the El Nino, very interesting.

Hope it doesn't mean that the Atlantic Conveyor is about to switch off, we will be in deep ****,

or the deep freeze.

tyneside tiddler:

Thanks, Tony U. But what's a poddler????

Whats a Poddler! its the geordie for immature Coalfish that abound around your coast or at least they used to; North Shileds fish Quay used to be particularly good for them.

Tony U (once a Geordie, now sort of a Man of Kent)

[ 28. July 2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.