Ray ID

JimLad

Hi All

I went for a few hours off Gillkicker point in the solent the other night - only managed small whiting, pout, rockling but in amongst a mixed bag I caught this little fella - possible the smallest ray in the solent :rolleyes:

Now most of the rays caught down here are thornbacks but this little chap didn't really look like one - I know its immature and may have strange markings but its got 2 very distinct marks on its wings and it was very pale.

Anyone know what flavour it might be? I've had a look on the web and in some books but still none the wiser...

Heres a pic (i have one of the underside if it helps ID) :

Click Here for the Original (large)

Posted Image

Cheers and Happy new year to y'all.

Jim

[ 02. January 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Hiya,

here Jimlad.. that's one monster Thornie you have there mate

a big clue for ID'ing thornies, despite having colouration similar to every other species of Ray there is one thing that is always present on a Thornie at varying degree's. This one is a prime example where it is very feint but it is there.. a barred tail. Thornbacks are the only UK ray with this feature and *every* Thornback has it :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Thanks Davy - that'll do for me...

I was just uncertain due to the 2 very distinct marks and how light it was - I know thories colourings vary greatly but this one had me thinking it might be something different.

Cheers for the barred tail tip - one to remember..

Took me hours to land that too - lucky i had teh butt pad in me bag :D

Hiya,

Yup I get a lot of them like that, similar markings to a Cuckoo ray, only prob is the Cuckoo has White wing spots surrounded with a black line of small spots. The strange thing is when you catch a Cuckoo it dont look like any othere ray you have ever caught :)

The one thing with a Thornie is it only has 3 rows of thorns on it's tail, unlike most of the other ray's that have 8 rows.

I also get quite a few that would pass off as Spotty or small Blonde's :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"