lost tackle

lazy al

I always use a "rotten bottom" (6lb mono), from my main line to the weight.

If the weight gets snagged, thats all I lose.

If your rig makes this difficult, then fix your weight on using a paper clip, this will straighten with a good pull and release the weight.

Another tip is to use old heavy bolts, nuts, chain links, spark plugs etc for weights.

This is not a form of pollution, as they will eventually form a natural reef. :)

[ 16. October 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

First time I have heard the paper clip idea, which is a lot more cost effective than buying the links from your local retailer.

Have you found they have held even if you give the cast a bit of stick? Power cast is too strong a word for my results! :D

B.A.S.S. member

When casting, I twist the paper clip round one more "circle".

However, you couldn,t call what I do, "power casting". :D:D

You could try it first, somewhere safe on dry land.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Depending on the ground you can add lead lifts (small plastic vanes) which "lift" the lead into the seawater column faster on your retrieve. They work. Typically they are position just about the lead and below any impact shield etc. All this said, they tend to work best on mixed ground.

For pure rough ground fishing I would use the rotten bottom links described, and make my own weights using a mould from (free) old clips from the local tyre centre.

6 lb mono sounds a bit weak to me - youc an boost the strength of the line to half the main line strength (10 / 20 etc) and that gives you the possibility of pulling the lead out of the snag before the line snaps completely... your call.

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

When you cast out, let the weight get to the bottom, take up the slack very gently so that the weight stays where it first hits bottom. If you move the weight, it will probably get jammed.

Have a reel with as high a retrieve rate as possible. EVERY time you wind in, take up all the slack until the tip of the rod is almost in the water, strike like crazy and wind in as fast as you can. This is the method used by the locals on Portland and they catch a lot of wrasse in amongst the rocks, as well as big congers. The best conger I have heard of this year off the rocks is one of 41 lb!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim - great tip, thanks. I've fished Portland on a few occasions and lost loads of tackle.

Just out of interest, did the 41lb conger come from near Pulpit Rock and is there any other good spots to fish on Portland apart from Portland Bill?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

aanthony:

Just out of interest, did the 41lb conger come from near Pulpit Rock and is there any other good spots to fish on Portland apart from Portland Bill?

I think it was caught near Ocean Rock. I've only been there once, a long time ago. It's down under Blacknor Fort.

We used to go down under the ariels just north of Pulpit.

I think Ricky Lambert has all his 50+ pounders from the obelisk.

The late Darren Hill caught his 7+lb Wrasse from just north of pulpit.

http://www.weymouthpanorama.co.uk/wp088.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.geoffkirby.co.uk/Portland/675680/

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net