It's all gone horribly wrong

FearTheHands

Over the last 10 days of fishing I've had nothing but bad luck (?) & problems. In particular I've been losing lots of gear.

Main problems were at West Bexington & Chesil Cove (Portland). If I left the line out longer than 2 minutes it would get sucked under the shingle/stones by the under current. 60% of the time I wouldn't be able to retrieve my gear & the line snapped.

I've been using a shockleader for the first time so I am wondering if my knot tying abilities are to blame ? Advice on best leader knots ?

Also pretty much EVERY time I did manage to retrieve my gear the bait (sandeel) was missing, again I'm assuming this is due to the under current ? Are sandeels a waste of time this time of year/conditions ? I switched to squid, which did seem more hardy ...

I've always been using a running ledger trace for beach casting - advice again please ?

Also what about lead weight. In one corner I hear you need a 6oz lead in order to stay on the bottom in the other corner I'm told you don't need anything heavier than a 4oz ? Does the weight of the lead have any bearing on the line getting sucked under the shingle ?

I'm using a 14ft Grauvell rod with a FS reel, 15 pound mainline, 60 pound shockleader.

Help please!!! :mad: :confused: :(

I've decided to join the local SAC as I clearly need help!

[ 22. March 2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: FearTheHands ]

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

If your using mono then the bimini knot is the one. I have only started using it in the last year, I was embarrased into tying it after a very short sighted dangler did one for me in total darkness with some poor lighting. After practicing at home I found it to be very easy and for my money it works.

Avoid gripper leads, weight of lead depends on a lot of things. I try to keep lead weights to a minimum 3oz to 4oz for casting, the lead will roll around in a tide but is that a problem. I do get a few comments when fishing with friends on the lack of weight but I think they would agree the results usually stack up well against their efforts.

Rotten bottoms for attaching leads also help, but to my mind they decrease the safety aspect of the shockleader.

I fish a single hook flowing trace 90% of the time. I feel with a 4' hook length and as light as species and conditions allow gives the best presentation. You could try floating beads to keep the bait of the bottom.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

FTH,

Don't lose heart mate, you'll get there I assure you, firstly heres the leader knot that I always use and have never really had a problem with it.

http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot5.html

When you say your line is being draged under the shingle do you mean in the surf line? If so, then amybe due to the fact your using a running ledger your lead is rolling along the bottom and your main line is falling slack and resting on the bottom where it will slowly get covered in shingle, try usinging a gripper lead and keep that main line tight, otherwise as well as all the other problems how are you going to see a bite??? I would advise trying a clip down pennel rig, if you clip your bait down it gives you peace of mind that you can give your cast extra effort without seeing your bait shoot off your hook mid cast, if your using a running ledger you might not be getting much distance because of this. And finally if your using sandeels trying tying them on with a few turns of bait elastic, this will keepm them on the hook better.

Hope this helps mate

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Dont know the beach, but with surf and weed about, keep the rod tip high, and dont let the line keep going when the lead has hit the bottom.

Should ensure that most of your line is kept out of the surf and weed, which helps if its is being dragged about.

B.A.S.S. member