float fishing problems

hector

When slider float fishing in clear water I like to use quite a light hook length, About 8lb, Problem is I always seem to get tangles as the drilled bullet sinks the hook length wraps around the main line . I've tried sliding a length of rig tubing on the swivel linking the main line to hook length but this only partly reduces the tangles .....any Ideas ????

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the same problems hector & like you have used the rig tubing, i have had some sucess in wrapping the snood around the float & casting off the ground so it unwraps as it hits the water, trouble is you dont know if its worked till you reel in. mind you i use a bloomin big float. (oo err mrs !) :):D

When you cast, just before the tackle hits the water (a couple of seconds)stop the line with your hand, Dont ask how or why, just trust me it works. dont try to cast out of sight either as this ends in tangles too.

i think when you stop the line the bullet and hook move from above the float to below it (IN mid air). so when it sinks it cant possibly wrap around the main line. does that make any sense?

If the tangle happens when casting, Winter's tip (also used by casting float users for fly fishing) will work. If its tangling on the drop down after hitting the water, maybe shorten the hook-to-bullet length, or use a light stand-off boom like they do for wrecking with red-gills for the same reason.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

yes I know its daft answering your own question within the space of an evening but I think I've come up with a solution. While reading a carp fishing article in a magazine I see this stuff PVA string. It disolves in a matter of minutes when it hits the water.You can simply tie the hook to the bullet forming a loop in the hook length. Cant see why it wont work though it may hinder casting a bit.Thanks for your sugestions next time i float fish I've got a few tricks up my sleave to takle the problem.

Dont know yet,it just looks like fine wool on the article. There using it to string five free baits to there hook bait. The result being your hook bait siting next to a bunch of free offers. Definately more to learn from these carp lads.

The PVA thread will work fine if your rig is dry. Otherwise you will need to spray a little oil on it before putting it on the rig to keep it from melting before you can cast. This will also slow the melting when it hits the water but hopefully not too much.

I have to do basically the same thing with bags when fishing water over about 25 feet deep.

The carpers do indeed have some great toys but remember how shallow the water is where they fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President