live sandeels

***Simon***

I had almost nothing but sandeels a few weeks ago when spinning for mackrel (got 4 mackrel & about 30 sandeels!!) off a pier in northumberland. The weird thing was that they were nearly all foul hooked??

(Tried spinning them a couple times but got nowt..)

The spinner was v. basic silver with treble tail about the same size as them, but 2/3rds length. Would they be trying to shoal with it? Surely that's too big for them to eat?

(BTW. I pulled all 4 mackrel 20ft up the pier wall on the spinner & gave them all the high dive return. All swam off within seconds!!!)

tyneside tiddler:

The spinner was v. basic silver with treble tail about the same size as them, but 2/3rds length. Would they be trying to shoal with it? Surely that's too big for them to eat?

I use a 200-300g pirk on the end of my sandeel feathers and hook a lot with the Pirk, so your experience is not particularly unusual.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I don't think sandeels are trying to eat a big lure. I think they are trying to fight it demon or do something ruder to it, which is why they get snagged rather than hooked.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk