PROPOSED SEA ANGLERS LISENCE

samuel-cox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

samuel-cox:

I want the job of bailiff!

The terms of the fresh water angling licence allows a licence owner to check the licence of any one else fishing.

If the sea licence is adopted on the same model you can bailiff as much as youi like :)

Show me yours and I'll show you mine :D

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

samuel-cox:

and its xmas hols iv had a drink or two. you got the jist didnt you?

I also bunked a lot of school to go fishing.

What's a 30 year old still doing at school?

TL - leon

ps my daughter's dixielexical, she got a degree from a top university and was named Student of the Year for the SE of England! Still can't spell for toffee though!

(Brenda says that intelligence is passed down the female line!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

The following was included in a letter that SACN have just received from DEFRA:

"Other recommendations of the Bradley Review, including those on cost recovery and licensing of sea anglers will also be taken forward in conjunction with related work on the Strategy Unit report."

See http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=216

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

A short sharp and sensible answer Steve, if the EA were totally in control of the governance of our sport, with autonomous authority over commercial interests extending to the old 6 mile limit and proper enforcement activity I'd support a licence too1

Oh well, perhaps we can all dream a little!

A short sharp and sensible answer Steve, if the EA were totally in control of the governance of our sport, with autonomous authority over commercial interests extending to the old 6 mile limit and proper enforcement activity I'd support a licence too1

Oh well, perhaps we can all dream a little!

Jim Roper:

I think I read somewhere that a license may be voluntary, so no need for bailiffs.

Yes Jim, you are half right. The Prime Minister's Strategy Unit 'Net Benefits' report raised the idea of a 'voluntary' licence, together with a catch recording scheme.

The issue they were looking at is that no one knew at the time (now we have the Drew report) just how many anglers there are, and what impact recreational angling has on inshore stocks.

There are a number of successful voluntary schemes for freshwater catch recording that I'm aware of.

(I complete a log of all of my grayling catches during the year that goes to the EA at the end of the season, and I get a booklet back full of fascinating statistics derived from angling returns - the information is used by the EA to enhance grayling fishing, anyone catching sea trout is also supposed to complete a return).

The SU were looking for something similar.

We told them that a proposal for a sea angling licence would be unpopular with many, and they came up with the idea of a 'voluntary' licence!

I'm not sure how that would have worked!

However a parrallel study of inshore enforcement was being carried out by DEFRA, now known as the 'Bradley Review'.

This also addressed the issue of licensing, both for netsmen (£500 - £1,000?) and for anglers (£22?), and looks at that from a 'cost recovery' point of view, on the 'user pays' principle, and that is the line that is currently being pursued through the DEFRA 'Sustainable Fisheries' programme.

The details of any licensing scheme, if one is finally imposed, are still very much to be worked out and I would expect a period of consultation when all the issues of concern, such as junior licences, group licences for charter boats and holiday resorts, day/week licences, maybe restricting the need for a license to 'recreational' areas, pilot schemes by region, enforcement etc etc to be considered and taken into account.

(See links at http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=216 )

Tight Lines - leon

[ 02. January 2005, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member