PROPOSED SEA ANGLERS LISENCE

samuel-cox

A lot of anglers including my self see this as nothing more than a extra stelth tax.

I would happily pay say 30 quid a year for a lisence if I felt it was to be used to benifit anglers.

It could be used to educate anglers on so many things getting our house ship shape and bristol fashon.Setting up angling schools in each county.

These could teach anglers the basics , how to un hook fish properly, how to collect bait propperly

However I do not feel our present govement would spend it wisely and it would go into thier ever growing tax pot.I dont think our govement would use our money to help protect our fisheries.

Is there a way of lisencing our selves cutting out the govement and E/A.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...t=003604#000000

(Try doing a search (up the top of the page on the right, with 'licence' in the subject, you'll find this has been much debated Sam)

Tight Lines - leon

[ 27. December 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hiya,

I also don't have a problem with a Licence providing it was used to benefit *ALL* anglers in the UK. Oh and by the way the UK is made up from England Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.. not just England as most people seem to think :rolleyes:

What we do need is a Governing body that actually does govern Angling in the Whole of the UK not just England. We should have a three tier system in place and we dont need much to get that.

The NFSA should cover all of the UK as the parent body and a united front for UK anglers and would be made up equally by members of the 4 federations.

The next tier down is the 4 Federations, English, Scottish Welsh & Northern Ireland, these groups cover their said areas and look after Anglers interests in these areas and would have the backup of the NFSA if required.

The next tier is your regional federations, this is your eyes & ears on the ground, reporting directly to the appropriate 1 of the 4 Federations. They would also be the groups that organise all the matches and anything fishing related in that area. By doing this the Parent bodies are freed up to deal with the more important issues.

By adopting this structure, all the areas maintain their own identity and all equally have a say in any Angling related issue. More importantly it would show the Anglers (ie: us) and the Government that Anglers were getting their act together and uniting as one voice even though we would still be loads of individual voices, just used correctly.

Just think what we could do if this was to happen????

Now with this structure in place, if we made it that every angler had to be a member of the new NFSA this could be a "Licence" that actually does something.

[ 27. December 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

I also don't have a problem with a Licence providing it was used to benefit *ALL* anglers in the UK. Oh and by the way the UK is made up from England Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.. not just England ads most people seem to think     :rolleyes:    

What we do need is a Governing body that actually does govern Angling in the Whole of the UK not just England. We should have a three tier system in place and we dont need much to get that.

The NFSA should cover all of the UK as the parent body and a united front for UK anglers and would be made up equally by members of the 4 federations.

The next tier down is the 4 Federations, English, Scottish Welsh & Northern Ireland, these groups cover their said areas and look after Anglers interests in these areas and would have the backup of the NFSA if required.

The next tier is your regional federations, this is your eyes & ears on the ground, reporting directly to the appropriate 1 of the 4 Federations. They would also be the groups that organise all the matches and anything fishing related in that area. By doing this the Parent bodies are freed up to deal with the more important issues.

By adopting this structure, all the areas maintain their own identity and all equally have a say in any Angling related issue. More importantly it would show the Anglers (ie: us) and the Government that Anglers were getting their act together and uniting as one voice even though we would still be loads of individual voices, just used correctly.

Just think what we could do if this was to happen????

Now with this structure in place, if we made it that every angler had to be a member of the new NFSA this could be a "Licence" that actually does something.

:cool: I agree with your ideas 100% Davy. A good idea would be for the NFSA to administer the licences and be paid an administration fee, hence helping them with their costs. As for checking licences, we could have bailiffs, either, volunteers, paid, or paid a commission on everyone they caught without a licence. As for enforcing the rules at sea, we could run a system similar to the RNLI with volunteer patrols paid expenses, or again, a commission for everyone they caught breaking the rules. I.E. 10% of the fine or value of the boat and catch. It wouldn't cost the government a penny, all the money raised could go to building reefs and funding research etc. Chuck in a 12 mile no commercial fishing limit with bag limits for anglers in the 12 mile zone and watch the fish stocks increase to everybody's advantage. :D

Hi Norm,

Glad to see you mention artificial reefs in there.

It has to be the way forward for the sea envirourment to start to repair itself.

Give the fish somewhere to hold up and spawn.

The reefs should be off limits to any kind of commercial fishing, potting.

Penalties for breaking the rule, should be severe, realy heavey fines, confiscation of boat and all equiptment, includeing license.

Has anyone ever had a look into the possibilities,of organiseing a project reef ??

Yakity. :)

Sorry to be a sour puss, but I totally disagree – have started typing all my reasons but the post just got far to big. In a nutshell, I think all the money from any license I would pay would just be filtered down to England and lost to the government. Easy enough to say the whole of the UK would benefit, but in reality I just cannot see it. Davy makes the very good point "the UK is made up from England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.. not just England as most people seem to think" - I think it would be hard for the whole of the UK to benefit ... I would foresee it mostly all been a select number of places in England.

It would be just the start of opening a massive can of worms possibly – a law that would have every angler by the b*lls, the government would be free to start even more legislation involved with the license so they can make more money from it(us), and I don’t think license would benefit me personally at all. What would be next … different license for different lengths of rod, breaking strains of line, or worse – different fish … I know the different fish one would be impossible as we can not determine exactly which fish we catch, but try telling that to a politician.

Sea angling is enjoyed widespread, many people from various backgrounds, ages, and localities enjoy been able to go fishing “on a most part” to their favourite marks locally without fear of been told they do not have permission to fish here.

Also I think it would be impossible to police with bailifs as the coastline is so vast both the shore and out at sea, so it could be argued all the money would go straight into paying for the bailifs - just look how much money it costs to watch out for illegal Salmon fishing around the coast of Scotland ... so much that the main two fishery protection boats that mainly did the job in the North of Scotland (FPV Moidart and FPV Morven) are no longer around, making the job even harder for local estates.

I just think it would only benefit a little number of places, and would be opening a whole massive can of worms. Sorry, I may be wrong but thats my opinion, shoot me down if you want. :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Leon - I do believe I did before I posted. So was giving my opinion on a whole, as Ive never properly commented on it before, and I know a number of the comments have been argued left, right and centre before.

As you mentioned in one of your posts in the previous thred.

Well I'll just wait until something emerges that has substance (if ever), then see whether it's good or bad

If something of substance I feel would be a benefit to everyone comes about - I would have no problem with paying it.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Guest jay_con

The more people I speak to the more Im convinced people dont want the licence. We had a discussion at our fishing club about this last week. There was so many people against it I didn't dare open my mouth to say I thought It could be a good thing if it was well thought out and gave us a voice in management of the sea.

To stop Big_cod giving me another ear bashing - I think charter boats should be exempt and a day licence as little a minimal fee or whatever the exact percent of a yearly licence is.

Leon - It may have been debated before but I get the feeling this will run and run.

Licence? ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - you can keep your chuffing licence.