PROPOSED SEA ANGLERS LISENCE

samuel-cox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon Roskilly:

Well, surely what you need to do Davy, for a start, is to put those suggestions down on paper in a convincing way, and present them to the relevant bodies and see what they say.

Tight Lines - leon

The ball is rolling :) just how far it gets.. well we'll see

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

If you get somthing for nothing it is dificult to put a value on it , paying for somthing gives a feeling of ownership . If you pay for somthing you feel you have the right to complain if it goes wrong . If offered a licence for say £20 a year and the right package of googies came with it , why not .

Sorry for the spelling errors but I do catch a freight load of fish.

gerryatric... for a man of mystery you seem to have a lot to say

(forgot to add this bit) btw Welcome to Anglers Net :)

[ 29. December 2004, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

Well Davy - if the handle is accurate, he may be a little older than I am and us old fuds gotta say it now because we don't know how many more years we have left to talk - or to talk and make sense.

gerryatric - welcome to AN.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

dale:

the fee must be payable to a government appointed body, there be real meaningful powers given to anglers and it must be collected/policed properly.

I would have thought that the VAT collected from anglers already makes them stakeholders.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Newt:

Well Davy - if the handle is accurate, he may be a little older than I am and us old fuds gotta say it now because we don't know how many more years we have left to talk - or to talk and make sense.

LOL very true Newt :D:D

Davy

big_cod:

well guys it seems strange to me  why defra want anglers to pay for a licence to use the revenue

to police the commercial sector seems madness why not make them pay who are doing the dammage or that to simple to work out

To develop the stocks as an 'angling product' ie not just more, but bigger fish, especially of those species of most interest to anglers, requires management of the stock to different objectives and in a different way to management simply for commercial harvesting.

It is this management to new objectives that needs to be paid for and DEFRA, like most government, is now moving to a 'user pays' principle, rather than financing specific sector needs from the public purse.

(At present the inshore fishery management objectives are solely concerned with producing fish for harvesting by the commercials with anglers having the right to help themselves to what's left, though many commercial fishermen and SFCs think that anglers are taking too many of their fish and should have bag limits imposed)

There is a parallel demand that, as well as anglers paying, inshore fishermen should also pay an annual fee (£500 - £1,000 has been mooted) to go towards the sustainable management of the fishery.

One problem is that humans tend to be unreasonably over-optimistic, and anglers see today's situation as either staying as it is, or perhaps, with the right policies, made better, always looking back to better days and assuming a return to them at some time in the future.

The reality is that we have seen a continual decline over as manay decades as I can remember, and all the evidence says that this will continue.

If nothing radically different happens, in 10 - 20 years time anglers will look back at the beginning of this century to the good fishing we have today!

Most anglers see the struggle as one of returning the quality of our fishing to what we once had not so log ago, the reality to those prepared to envisage it is that the situation will worsen considerably, and the struggle is really about trying to make what we have now last as long as possible, depressing though that may be, and why we are pyschologically unable to face that truth.

If you want tomorrow to be different to today, there has to be some radical changes accepted!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 29. December 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

dale:

Jim,

you pay VAT in tesco's does that make you a stakeholder there too.

Stakeholder or Stockholder, I have the choice whether to use Tesco's today or not.

c£63M in VAT on angling supplies should count for more than the £3M a license is expected to come up with.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net