UKs First Kayakfishing Tournament.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi all,

Simon the Muppet here. In one of these subjects someone was asking about what to wear to combat the winter and I said what I wear. Then it dawned on me - but being borne of short arms and deep pockets didn't really take much notice. A deep water wading jacket that salmon anglers use would be perfect for kayak fishing - only midriff legth, plenty of movement because it is designed for fly casting up to your neck in running water and the best ones are fully waterproof.

Now to get back on track (GPS term there you notice..) Safety angles - anyone coming straight from a small, or large for that matter, boat needs to think DIFFERENTLY for yak angling. They will be using their common sense to anchor from the bow, keeping her head to sea, but for a yak this is totally inconvenient - anchor from the stern so you can see where you are fishing...just one specific that springs to mind which probably wouldn't be obvoius to even a seasoned boater until they had slung their hook.

For a compass I use a hand held one - no need to mount one in the boat permenantly. An army surplus one does me - or even a good Silva hiking compass will be quite good enough - light, not bulky, lanyarded and lght - oh, and oil filled. Perfect, about £8 for a good one. My army one is a degree version, not mils, and is a proper marching compass (they retail at about £260) mine was £25 with the bezel screw missing. Not a major job to replace if I wanted to. An absolute gem of an instrument and something I had always promised myself - but a bit of an indulgence!

Thats it for now.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Yakity,

Without feedback life can be difficult to get things right.

What to wear on the Yak will be a new section on the site, have made contact with one of the main manufacturers of kayak clothing so hopefully something will come of it and I'll be able to get all the right information direct from the horses mouth.

I know everybody keeps harping on about compasses, but if you don't know how to use one, you might as well carry a stick and believe me a lot of people don't know how to use one.

On another note Yakity, does the local tackle shop know about the tournament, last time I was down they didn't have any bait left in stock, might be worth advising everyone to make sure they are well stocked before arrival....you got any room in your freezer. :D

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

A good sensible list of safety stuff there Simon, with stuff I hadn't thought about.

One or two things i'd add to that list would be a safety 'space' blanket, which is basically a tightly folded silver foil blanket that does wonders at insulating should you or one of your party get into trouble and not be able to paddle to shore. Also because of there highly reflective nature they're really easy for any coastguard / rescue personel to spot. A travel towel similar to the back-packing ones is useful, if kept in your dry bag as it's a means of getting dry should you accidently end up in the water.

On the subject of head torches, I've got a good lightweight LED one thats really bright, and is good for working when the light fails, and you need both hands. Doesn't have much long range use, but can be seen from a long way away, especially as it has a flashing mode. You can always turn it around back wards on your head and put it on flashing, so that people can see you, yet you dont ruin your night vision sensitivity. You could also get a clip on flashing red light like they have on the back on bikes. The thing to bear in mind is that you need to work out a system so that everthing is close to hand, it no use having all the stuff and not being able to get to it.

Everyone has to make their own choices SM and maybe things are easier where you paddle. Up here the Haar is a very real threat and occurs on exactly the kind of days that conditions would otherwise be perfect. You could find yourself in trouble only a couple of hundred yards out without a compass.

IMO if you don't know how to use a compass you don't go out to sea period. As Simon E points out they are not expensive. £8 to get back to shore or paddling the wrong way into a shipping lane or dangerous area of water? Its a no brainer IMO.

BTW did you see the post by, I think it was Sam, in the Real fishing stories thread? Not a nice situation to be in.

I don't see kayak fishing as an extreme sport but a compass is just basic seamanship and if someone can't be bothered to learn to use one we should not be encouraging them to go anywhere near a yak. (or anything else that floats). Theres always carpet bowls for those folks..... :D

Be good to get input from the non yakers too on this one and get it nailed as an issue right now.

Simon E , do you have a particular wade jacket in mind or are they all much of a muchness? I had been thinking about some kind of lightweight flyfishing waistcoat to go over my Cag. If I had the cash and was starting from scratch they sound interesting though.

Cheers guys, Chris

[ 15. February 2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Nolan, The space blanket sounds a great idea; never thought about the high viz benefit.

Agree with you about having a system with everything in its place; as a side benefit I find it makes it a damn sight easier to be organised for quick evening trips if everythings packed and in its place.

I think its vital to have some stuff to hand but others' like dry bag with clothes, spare paddle etc, I stuff in the front hatch. I tend not to open my hatches at sea. Might be more inclined to if fishing with others but not when im alone.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi All,

I agree with Jaffa re the compass.

On a personal note mine is fitted to the Kayak, via a cool box at the moment.

Which I hasten to add is well fitted to the Kayak.

The reason I fitted mine,being lost in fog/mist, is one thing, trying to read a hand help compass in a choppy sea , and control the Kayak at the same time with the paddle, could prove difficult.

Could even drop the hand held, lay it in your lap? , could do, but if you took a wave, you could loose it over the side.

This is looking at the worse case sinario , but its these that catch people out.

Better to be over, than under gunned.

Just my oppinion.

YY :)

Chris,

if you look in the SPORTFISH catalogue you will see a few - not cheap and cheerful , but I think they cherry pick what is on the market. You will get a good idea of what there is out there. I am sticking to my not perfect set up, because of my impecuniary affliction - short arms and deep pockets. Just long enough to reach beer money but......!

Sportfish will send you a catalogue if you call them on 01544 327111 or http://www.sportfish.co.uk I hope this helps.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Just a thought on the wading jackets.

1. will they fit under your PFD

2. if not can you swim in one

Just a thought. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com