Dawn or Dusk?

MikeT

I always seem to have better luck fishing at first light in the morning or at last light at the end of the day. This is presumably because fish feed more confidently when the sun is low in the sky and light levels are less, so they’re at less risk of predation. I often fail to get bites during the hours around midday, especially on a bright sunny day, so I usually try to be by the water at either dawn or dusk.

I prefer dawn, because it’s a magical time to be up and going fishing. There’s less traffic on the roads, and it’s more exciting to set off on a trip in the dark. I love to arrive at the river just as the sky starts to get lighter, and be there as the countryside begins to wake up and start its day- the anticipation is wonderful. However, I have to accept that the fishing will probably die off after a few hours, and since I seldom have time to fish through the whole day until it turns back on in the late afternoon, I have to pack up after a period of no fishy activity.

On the other hand, it always feels more civilised to arrive at the river after an easy slow start with a proper breakfast and newspaper, and setting up later on in broad daylight for a forthcoming evening session. In the summer especially, this is very pleasant, as I can get settled in and feed a swim before the catching hours arrive. It’s also good to pack up and go home with that nice feeling of having just caught a lovely fish, which more often happens at twilight.

When do you generally prefer to be fishing- at sunrise or sunset?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.

I see this thread has already been done! It appears as if by magic below my opening post, in the 'Similar Topics' box.

Sorry about that.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

:)

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

When do you generally prefer to be fishing- at sunrise or sunset?

It all depends on the venue, time of year and target species. I like trotting the river for Chub, dace, roach and Perch (general fishing) during the day as that seems to be most productive for me. If I was after Tench on still waters I like to fish later in the day, through the night and earl morning as I say it depends on what your after and where.

Mike, the other topic is from 2005!

I prefer dusk. Dawn is a magical time to be by the water, but in summer it means getting up extremely early, and in winter it means being very cold! If I'm night fishing I get up at dawn when the first light wakes me - I love that as I'm already there :) If I get up very early I've usually had enough by lunchtime.

I've always done better at dusk in terms of fish. There are some exceptions (tench and pike especially, although even these often have a little feeding spell as the light goes). The witching hour, when it's not day and it's not night, is my favourite time to be fishing. This time of year it means I can do a few jobs in the morning, have some lunch and get to the river in the early afternoon, fish for a few hours until it's properly dark, and still be home by 5.30. Lovely!

The one thing that may change my mind is fishing for big perch at dawn in summer. I've never done this but some big perch experts (notably Tony Miles) say that this is the best time of the year for the biggest perch in small rivers. I don't know if Steve Burke can confirm this? I generally don't start perch fishing until the autumn.

One of the nicest things about dawn fishing, however, is the feeling of space and freedom in the world - it often feels like the whole world is yours!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i have to admit i like my lie ins and therefore prefer afternoon evening sessions. i like going after work in the summer. I must say though i really like being at a lake in the very early morning as its waking up and mist is rising off the water (in the summer that is) i must try to be less lazy next summer. i was contemplating getting a night ticket so i can be there at dawn.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

The one thing that may change my mind is fishing for big perch at dawn in summer. I've never done this but some big perch experts (notably Tony Miles) say that this is the best time of the year for the biggest perch in small rivers. I don't know if Steve Burke can confirm this? I generally don't start perch fishing until the autumn.

I don't really understand where it comes from that Autumn is the best time for Perch, all my biggest Perch and most of the Perch I've ever caught have always been in the summer months.

On my local river I probably won't get a sniff of one until the opening of the next season.

I must addmitt though the Chub fishing at the moment is great just recently I've haad some brilliant sessions the other day I counted to 40 then just gave up, and the fish where immaculate and fought like Barbel ! That was fishing mid to late afternoon.

Edited by tigger

Definately Dusk I'm far too fond of my bed in a morning :D :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I've never found dawn or dusk conducive to any kind if fishing. It's a myth if you ask me, just like fishing for pike in the dark.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've never found dawn or dusk conducive to any kind if fishing. It's a myth if you ask me, just like fishing for pike in the dark.

Your wrong there Andy, there are waters I know and you won't catch anything except the odd small Rudd till after dark and early morning. I'm not saying that applies to all waters but it definatly does to some.

I don't really understand where it comes from that Autumn is the best time for Perch, all my biggest Perch and most of the Perch I've ever caught have always been in the summer months.

Me too, I have binned stripeys for the year. They seem to evaporate in direct proportion to the falling thermometer. I accept that this is perhaps a feature of the waters which I fish (like the piking) and that for others this is s good time.

I am not sure that the dawn/dust thing is a 'myth' at all. I often get into position when perch fishing and they markedly 'come on' as the light fades, for example in late June and early July it's 9.20 pm ! At an early age we discovered that once it got fully dark they went off and came back onto feed just before first light (staying out on the lake was an adventure) I love to be on the water on summer evenings staying into the dark, and even sometimes keeping the boat launched for the dawn session. First light can be a lovely time to be out, but I'm not good for anything before mid morning.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"