Keeping Sandeel alive

macky1:

this may sound daft but has anyone tried keeping them in a bucket of wet sand?????

after all they live in the stuff?

macky

On holiday, I used to keep lugworm and rag for days in wet sand. Fill the bucket with sand first. Pour in water until the water just covers the sand and no more. Now place the lugs in the bucket and cover with a dark, dampened cloth. The lug wil burrow themselves in with nothing more than thier tails showing. After a session, refresh with new water. Crabs can be kept the same way but don't keep them in the same bucket, for obvious reasons.

Oh yea...make sure you remove any damaged or dead worms. Dead worms just putrify the water and this kills the rest of your stock in a matter of hours.

I imagine Sandeels could be kept the very same way, except I would put an aerator in the bottom of the bucket, cover that with sand and follow the same proceedure.

[ 13. May 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Andy Macfarlane ]

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic