Animal Libbers

Jim Roper

Shooters gain protection from antis crackdown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooters will gain protection from crackdown on animal rights extremists.

31st January 2005……………………………………………………immediate release.

People who shoot will gain protection from proposed new measures to clamp down on animal rights extremists.

Caroline Flint, Under Secretary of State at the Home Office has written to the British Association for Shooting and Conservation, which represents more than 122,000 members, to confirm that proposed changes to the law designed to prevent harassment by extremists will cover people involved in legitimate shooting sports.

Christopher Graffius, BASC Director of Communications said ”We are grateful to the minister for clarifying the scope of the proposed changes, and welcome the additional legal protection which they will bring. We receive regular reports of attacks, harassment and intimidation of members involved in proper and lawful shooting by thugs who operate under the animal rights banner.”

The changes introduce two new offences which will allow action to be taken when harassment aimed at preventing people from pursuing legal activities takes place against two or more individuals on separate occasions, and when protests targeted against homes cause alarm or distress to residents. ENDS.

For more information call the BASC press office on 01244 573031

Has any organization that represents anglers, clarified the situation regards fishing?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

A landowner I met for the first time this weekend whilst fishing the river, added an interesting perspective to the whole debate of support for country pursuits.

He is not a foxhunting man but is very angry the government is meddling in country ways.

He also felt if the huge number of anglers out there were a little more supportive that we could help stop this erosion of rights.

He was seriously considering not re-letting the 6 miles of river out again next season.

I informed him that although there are many anglers it is quite a fragmented sport with differing veiws but the people who fish the river can generally be more in tune with country ways and he would be harming them most.

Hopefully our 1 hour discussion covering many subjects that we both had the smae veiws on has helped him to make the right decision.

I do feel though with many landowners being shooting men we must certainly have a much closer link with the BASC than we have the foxhunting fraternity.

yours

john

Yes John, I agree.

Unfortunately, and it applies to many landowneres and shooters, as well as anglers, their agenda was hijacked in order to sanitise the fox hunting debate.

In many respects the CA has fragmented our sports. I personally would applaud FACT if it were to develop an understanding with BASC.

[ 01. February 2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]