Rays killing and South Devon clubs

kevthefish

Why is it that South Devon Clubs (which are affiliated to the NFSA I might add) feel it necessary to kill specimen fish in order to claim a medal or cup ?

This is a question which nobody seems to be able to answer. I am sure that the NFSA think it is stupid, maybe the clubs involved do and maybe the anglers do also.

There is a thread regarding this running on the NFSA discussion forum; feel free to add your thoughts.

The thread is at:

http://pub35.ezboard.com/fnfsafrm4.showMes...opicID=26.topic

Thanks

Kev

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk

kevthefish:

Why is it that South Devon Clubs (which are affiliated to the NFSA I might add) feel it necessary to kill specimen fish in order to claim a medal or cup ?

Just like the jokes about Satisfied Farmers and Dead Donkeys, fishermen are never believed about the one that got away.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

:D whilst you may have the odd weasel trying to fiddled a specimen fish Jim, a clear photograph, two witnesses and measurements of the fish would put virtually all of them off trying this. On the Bristol Channel there is wholesale slaughter of specimen rays by South Devon Club members;the local anglers return their rays now as they realise that if you kill your breeding stock then there will be no more little rays.

The postings on the NFSA forum have had an effect as the matter of killing fish just for an award will now be discussed at the next Executive meeting.

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk

kevthefish:

:D whilst you may have the odd weasel trying to fiddle a specimen fish Jim, a clear photograph, two witnesses and measurements of the fish would put virtually all of them off trying this.

You would think so, wouldn't you?

http://anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ultima...t=001350#000016

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

This topic has been up and down the forums for a couple of months now. Personaly I'm not quite sure what is so important about the need to claim a record when it involves killing a fish that would otherwise live, especially as when we are supposedly acutely aware of what is happing with fish stocks these days.

There is nothing better than seeing a good fish swim away and knowing that my son may have a chance of catching that fish and returning it some day.

Whats the point of taking fish for trophies, nobody remembers the names of record holders anyway. Dont think anybody cares who has a record except the capture, it means nothing at all in fishing, we all know most big fish were caught luckily with little skill.

All the guys that work UNSELFISHLY for conservation and angling are the real heroes, unlike the victorian minded trophy hunters whom I have no time for at all.

As for South Devon clubs, you cannot blame all the anglers of these clubs for the thoughtless actions of a few!

[ 08. June 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Harold. ]

Dave Thompson of Portland, is the holder of the record for the `Lesser weaver`! Did he put it back?

Did he hell!! Would you want to grab a weaver?

But to be more serious. Why kill a good breeding fish, just to get your name in the local paper? Unless of course, it happens to be `the one for the pot`. We`re all guilty of that.

I think the record fish list should be attained by virtue of measurements, plus one scale from the fish? Dead fish count for nothing, except another feather on a cowboys hat!!!

Have you heard about the circumsised Devon boy? Someone kicked his sister on the jaw!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!