Uncatchable or what?

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi

This is getting so bad it is almost embarrassing... we have been fishing a mark with a very deep hole from the shore in Sligo on and off for ther last few months - as the tides and weather allow...

Several of us have had something really big take off with a decent bait, including on our latest foray half a frozen Coalfish (!) on a 8/0 attached to wire trace to 50 lb mono trace line! We though originally it might have been a skate but the more this saga continues the more we feel we have found a damn big conger. The problem is that there is clearly some sort of viciously sharp snag down there - lines have parted and come back cut clean as a whistle with not the slightest trace of abrasion. Nothing. It is a muddy bottom, which is why we though skate originally...

This weekend the line that sprang back cut after the usual massive take was the 50 lb trace line.

So is this fish uncatchable from the shore?

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Why not try 50lb reel line and 150lb mono trace.

That will take some breaking, on a snag or with teeth.

It could also be an advantage to fish for the "monster" from a boat.

Then you are pulling it up and away from snags.

This would also enable you to use the heavier tackle, without any casting problems.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Haa! Now Davy, behave yourself!

If I were to tell anyone the location certain sea anglers around here would have my life... there is quite a few euro riding on who finally takes this fish, given as it seems to be resident there.

To answer, it is about eight metres off shore but the shore is only exposed at low tide so as the tide floods, the casts become progressively longer. I suspect the bugger will have to be tackled from a boat because the snag problem is the problem, not the damn fish. It has help! :P

Kieran Hanrahan

Hiya,

Kieran Hanrahan:

Haa! Now Davy, behave yourself!

I always do mate :)

quote:

If I were to tell anyone the location certain sea anglers around here would have my life... there is quite a few euro riding on who finally takes this fish, given as it seems to be resident there.

To answer, it is about eight metres off shore but the shore is only exposed at low tide so as the tide floods, the casts become progressively longer. I suspect the bugger will have to be tackled from a boat because the snag problem is the problem, not the damn fish. It has help! :P [/QB]

OK how about going a bit OTT, try a heavy trace of 150lb mono and try using a wind on leader, which is simply a length of whatever b.s. line you want that attaches directly to your mainline and can be wound right onto your reel.. I use them all the time for the skate and it makes a world of a diffrence. :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

quote:

try using a wind on leader, which is simply a length of whatever b.s. line you want that attaches directly to your mainline and can be wound right onto your reel..
Is that like a standard beachcasting leader? I reckon our only chance is from a boat anchored on top of the beastie's head :D but we might give it one more try with a 100 lb + wire trace... be nice to catch it from the shore and in any case there is 120 Euro riding on it now! It's like the lotto, it goes up every time someone misses the bugger! I suspect a boat will void the bet.

Kieran Hanrahan

Hiya,

Kieran Hanrahan:

Is that like a standard beachcasting leader? I reckon our only chance is from a boat anchored on top of the beastie's head :D but we might give it one more try with a 100 lb + wire trace... be nice to catch it from the shore and in any case there is 120 Euro riding on it now! It's like the lotto, it goes up every time someone misses the bugger! I suspect a boat will void the bet.

yes the wind on leader is just like a shock leader, only it tends to be around 150lb b.s. minimum and is connected directly to the mainline buy using a 6' length of hollow Dacron and some super glue. That way there is no knots to obstruck the line going through the eyes and it's surprising just how strong the joint is.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.