Some more mullet questions

corydoras

First a bit of background.

I have eaten thick-lipped grey mullet once in my life. This was long before I fished for them for pleasure, and anyway the fish was not caught by me.

The fish must have weighed in the region of 2.5-3.0 lbs and it did not taste very good, not good enough to make me want to eat mullet again.

After reading about the potential for the build-up of heavy metals, pesticides and other toxins in their flesh I wouldn't put mullet in my mouth now anyway.

So here are my questions.

What are mullet sold as when they are caught commercially?

Does anyone out there enjoy eating the things?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have never seen grey mullet sold "commercially".

Even the Spanish and Italians don,t eat them...........that shows how bad they taste.

Now red mullet, mmmmmmmmm delicious. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Cranfield:

I have never seen grey mullet sold "commercially".

Even the Spanish and Italians don,t eat them...........that shows how bad they taste.

Now red mullet, mmmmmmmmm delicious.   :)  

That is what I thought. The French don't eat them much either. All my in-laws are French and apart from my father-in-law (who caught and cooked the one I tasted) I have never seen or heard of anyone eating them.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

i've eaten grey mullet in israel, in tel aviv every fish restaurant sold them, also when i was in athens the other week a resaurant in pireus advertised them

jeepster:

i've eaten grey mullet in israel, in tel aviv every fish restaurant sold them, also when i was in athens the other week a resaurant in pireus advertised them

Did you like it?

ooops, i knew i missed something from that message.

no i didnt like it, it was very bland and didnt have a pleasant texture. it tasted like a farmed fish, as though something was missing if you know what i mean, but it was caught from the med, just a few hundred yards from the restaurant. i didnt eat it in pireus, i went for silver snapper (which i hadnt heard of before) and it was fantastic!

There's usually a couple of sad looking mullet cadavers on the counter of our local Tescos.

Some people have told me that they like eating mullet, but the majority don't seem to.

I believe that the chinese in particular like them, cooked in a special way with their ability with delicious sources.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

the chinese do have a way with bland foods like tofu etc, i dunno what they do but i wish i did!

carp is also very popular with the chinese, but when i eat it in hong kong, it tasted just how you'd expect, muddy and a bit bitter