west coast cod

maximo

can anyone point me in the direction of any info to the west coast cod stocks.

i heard there was a lot of fish in the southern irish sea but im wondering what their migration routes and how far north they come from.

im based in cumbria and was just wanting a bit of insight to these things.

thanks in advance.

We've been getting them in pretty good numbers of the West Coast of the Isle of Lewis, and they always seem to be in good numbers pretty close to the north of the island.

Out today - fishing not to great due to big tide ebbing all day, but I managed 8 Cod.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Mike, yep - Cod are 6lb and over :) I think that is known by most sea anglers ... but thanks for the re-education.

We are generally getting them in the 5 lb to 7 lb range from the marks we normally fish ... not seen much over 8 lb though ... and the numbers been caught seem to be descreasing since beginning of September (normal for this kind of year). The other mark I know of thats producing Cod, its mainly "Codling" thats been caught - but it has produced a 14 lb and 16 lb in same day August ... dont think its been fished properly in over a month due to the weather.

There is the fair share of smaller "Codling" around also on the mark we normally fish, there are also more juvenile Codling in the 20cm to 30cm length range than I have seen in recent years ... hoping this is a good sign.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Arhhh! Should have seen that coming!

Talking of weights, I heard a recent report of an angler at Dungeness who cast out with braid, had a birds nest, the line didn't break, but shot back like a bullet, and the line wrapped it'self around another anglers head, cutting deep into his face, a serious injury.